cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished Rebels - Still Holding Up?

dsmyth411
Apprentice

Hello,

I just bought a refurbished T5i from the Canon online store.  I am wondering users' experiences with Canon's refurbished Rebel DSLR bodies and if they've held up over time, or if you've had any problems, horror stories with customer service, recommend the extended service plan, etc.  

I'm saving about $150 vs. a brand-new T5i, and like that I still get the 1-year Canon warranty - seems a better deal than trying to win an Ebay auction without any warranty.   It functions fine from what I can tell, and yes it underwent their 40-point inspection, but I'd like a bit more peace of mind that this refurb is NOT going to die on me in 366 days and I'll be out $500.  I guess the same could happen to a new T5i, but just would like to hear from the community.  Thanks,

DS

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... to die on me in 366 days and I'll be out $500 ..."

It very well may die at day 366 and you will be out $500 bucks but it won't be because it is a refurb.  Who knows?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I have a friend who bought a refurbished T2i several years ago.  It gets a lot of use and is still going strong.  He had similar apprehension before buying, but now he's happy that he bought it.

in some ways, you have less to fear than buying new because a refurb had to be evaluated, serviced, and tested in ways that new cameras are not.

A refurb is simply any camera which cannot legally be sold as new because you are not the first buyer.   But a number of cameras are returned which never had anything wrong with them...   the buyer may simply have changed their mind.  Sometimes the buyer simply did not understand how to use the camera and returned a product as 'defective'.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Can even be overstock.  That were never touched by anyone.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements