cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light at the bottom right of my camera

Lindseymiller56
Apprentice
Hello! So I've had my Canon T3 for about a year and I feel like I understand it fairly well and it's been working great for the price that I paid for it. But just in the past few weeks the bottom right corner red light has been blinking almost all the time and usually doesn't stop. After I take a picture it blinks and sometimes takes a long time for it to "develop" the picture. Sometimes it takes so long I have to shut my camera off, but then I lose the picture. Does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem and how I could fix it? I'm wanting to sell the camera but I first want to make sure it's in top condition.
Thanks
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You might try a new card, too. If the good sectors are fragmented, it might take extra time stuffing little pieces of your files here and there in the card.

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The red light typically indicates that the camera is using (or at least trying to use) the memory card.  If the card is having issues then it might explain the symptom you've described.  

If you do reformat the memory card, make sure you tick the "Low Level" checkbox.

But you might just consider buying a new memory card.  I don't trust my photos to memory cards once they show any signs of having reliability issues.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you tried formatting the card in the camera? Choose a low-level format.

Lindseymiller56
Apprentice
No I believe I have not. What would be the purpose

You might try a new card, too. If the good sectors are fragmented, it might take extra time stuffing little pieces of your files here and there in the card.

@Lindseymiller56 wrote:
No I believe I have not. What would be the purpose

You format the card so that camera can FULLY initialize it properly.  New cards may seem like they have been formatted, but they have not.  What you are seeing is residue from production testing, not not a fully formatted storage media.

With a T3, only use full-size SD cards, 32 GB or less.  Avoid micro-SD cards like the plague.  They don't work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The red light typically indicates that the camera is using (or at least trying to use) the memory card.  If the card is having issues then it might explain the symptom you've described.  

If you do reformat the memory card, make sure you tick the "Low Level" checkbox.

But you might just consider buying a new memory card.  I don't trust my photos to memory cards once they show any signs of having reliability issues.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Lindseymiller56
Apprentice
It is definitely my card. I'll more than likely buy a new one then format it correctly. Thank you!!

LenaK
Contributor
Hello, I have the same issue with the blinking red light. I have Sony sd card that I have formatted as recommended, I also reset all the setting in the camera. But still the samw issue...well actually now the light just stays red. Any ideas what this could be and how I can fix it. Thank you in advance.
Announcements