cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red focal points no longer showing in viewfinder

bsdmom44
Contributor

Hi everyone!

Love my T3i! I've had it almost 3 years now. In the past 3 months, I no longer see the red focal point indicators through the eye view finder. Did I mistakenly turn this off? If so, how do I turn it back on? It happens with every lens.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

I forgot to ask the obvious. Apart from the red focus squares, is everything else working?

In Program mode - Camera focuses? Green dot lights up? Can take a photograph?

If if you manually select an F point via LCD can you use that point to focus and take a photo?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Is it possible that the AF/MF switch on the lens has accidentally gotten flipped from Autofocus to Manual Focus?  That will turn the little red lights off, and it can be a little confusing when it happens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I thought of that, but I tested it on my T5i and 1D Mark IV  and they do light up in MF and it will beep when focus is achieved. Is that new for later models than T3i?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No idea but I do know from personal experience that when the AFMF switch on my Sigma 35mm lens gets bumped to MF, the red points are not visible in the viewfinder of my 6d.  

Perhaps they would appear, and/or beep if I was doing it on purpose, and I was manually focusing, but it seemed like the OP would not have been intentionally doing manual focus.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I was using Canon lens.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements