cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red busy

jdoss
Apprentice

I have an EOS t3i.  I am running Windows XP home edition.  I was able to download images with the EOS from Christmas.  I recently tried with new images with no success.  I keep getting the red busy.  I have uninstalled and downloaded the Utility twice and am still getting the red busy.

2 REPLIES 2

amfoto1
Authority

Your are getting "red busy" flashing light on the camera? Or on your computer?

Not sure I understand, but what I'd do is remove the memory card from the camera and use a card reader to download it. Depending upon how the card reader connects to the computer, this can be a lot faster and more reliable. (I only use the USB cable to camera connection for tethered shooting and setting up the camera, synching up clocks, etc.... never for image transfers.)

Did you leave your old shots on the memory card after copying them to your computer? If so, I've seen images not want to display on the camera, after doing that. Not sure why, though. Maybe this is part of the problem.... some files still on the card are not being recognized.

I also never use any particular software to download images. I just drag and drop them into folders I prepared in advance. (I'm using Windows 7, but it would be basically the same with most any recent operating system).

The problem might be XP... Have you loaded a driver so that it recognizes your camera? Later OS such as Win 7 have drivers built in, but XP might not. It's been a while since I used it.

Do you regularly format your memory card when you put it in the camera? You have to be certain all the images you want to keep have been copied off the card before formatting, because formatting effectively erases all the images currently on a card. But it "prepares" the card to receive new images.

I use a bunch of memory cards in my cameras. The first thing I always do when I insert a fresh card is format it (I sometimes press "playback" first, just to be sure it's not got images on it that I haven't transferred yet).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

The BUSY displays on the computer.  It's on the EU screen - where I would choose "Download Images."

What's so frustrating is that I was able to successfully download just a couple of weeks ago and now, with no known change in variables, it won't download the new images.

I definitely still had some images on the camera that I had previously downloaded.  Based on your comment, I deleted those older ones from the camera and tried downloading the new images again - still no success.

I've never used a card reader with any of my cameras, but it looks like I'll be getting one tomorrow.

I definitely DO regularly format my memory card when changing them...

Thanks much for all of the feedback - will try a card reader next.

Announcements