cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a t3i

Basic
Enthusiast

My daughter in law gave me a t3i camera that belonged to her grandpa. He only took 5 pictures total before putting it away. I have been taking pictures with it and so far seems to be working good. I put a better SD card in it and got some extra batteries for it. I also bought a Canon 50mm macro lens and rokinon 14mm wide angle lens. My main two interests are taking pictures of the homemade soap and cosmetics that we sell and shooting the stars. 

Would anyone recommend that I take it to a camera shop to have someone look it over and make sure everything is correct? I also thought about cleaning the sensor lens. I would love to hear someone else's thoughts. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would use RAW.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

103 REPLIES 103

I think its the wrong link. Shows 10/3 images.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
I will try that.

I like the ipixio.

You captured the various colored stars. Histogram looks good. The problem with getting too bright an image is the stars can be blown out - pure white with no detail.

If I enlarge the images to 100% in DPP it looks like the focus may be off; the stars aren't crisp dots.

Can you find something like a water tower or a radio tower that's a few miles away and focus on that? Then tape the focus ring? Some folks use the Live Veiw screen, but I never had luck with that because I am near-sighted and can't focus my own eyes that close to the camera LCD.

Screenshot 2021-10-06 132727.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
Thanks. I adjusted the focus then cleaned the lens without checking the focus again, so that might be the cause.

I'm on the right track and with practice I will get better.

Basic
Enthusiast
I don't know if I can get a 3 mile unobstructed view of anything around here. Would a couple of miles work for focusing?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It should. I think at 14mm that would be infinity.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
I could barely see the water tower through the lens. With the naked eye no problem and I was around 2 miles. I'm going to try and mark off 2 miles with my car and try it again from a different place

Basic
Enthusiast
I will have to back to the lens manual because I may not have the lens set right.

Basic
Enthusiast
I thought that my lens had a manual f setting that I some how missed but it doesn't. I also read a few reviews on the lens and they recommended a f3.2 so I may try that tonight.
Announcements