cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a t3i

Basic
Enthusiast

My daughter in law gave me a t3i camera that belonged to her grandpa. He only took 5 pictures total before putting it away. I have been taking pictures with it and so far seems to be working good. I put a better SD card in it and got some extra batteries for it. I also bought a Canon 50mm macro lens and rokinon 14mm wide angle lens. My main two interests are taking pictures of the homemade soap and cosmetics that we sell and shooting the stars. 

Would anyone recommend that I take it to a camera shop to have someone look it over and make sure everything is correct? I also thought about cleaning the sensor lens. I would love to hear someone else's thoughts. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would use RAW.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

103 REPLIES 103

Left. Like in the Lightroom screenshot. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
I took 3 sets of 60 second shots last night. I just stacked the first 60 and you can barely see the stars. I must be doing something wrong still. I don't know if I have the camera set up wrong or I'm using the software wrong or the lens is bad. I will post the finished picture when I get a chance.

The next good night I have, I'm going to try another lens or a different f value.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
What settings did you use?

Can you post a screenshot of the software showing the histogram?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
I think I can. I have some "to do" stuff to get done and I will post it when I get back in about an hour. On my first 60 shots I took jpg and RAW. Do you want the jpg or just the RAW or do you want the finished stack of pictures?

Just a screenshot of one of the RAW files showing the histogram.

Also, could you maybe post a link to one of the RAWs that you could upload to DropBox or One Drive?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8rj55guc7vn5nk/AADH2a-uEdo0gpEz4zn0h7nPa?dl=0 

I hope this is what you are wanting? There's multiple pics.

The 10.1 is the stacked photos and 101 is a RAW single shot from last night.

Basic
Enthusiast
I'm just about home and I will try to upload a RAW picture. I took 3 RAW shots before I did my sequence shots and I looked at the histogram and two shots were flat line and one shot barely moved.

Basic
Enthusiast
If you can't open one then I will try something different.

Based on the EXIF data the camera was set at 1/15 second, f/2.8, 14mm, ISO 3200..

The image is underexposed.

If I boost the exposure in Lightroom I can see the stars, but very noisy.

When you are using the remote timer are you setting the camera to Bulb?

60 images at 1/15 second is only 4 seconds total.

You should set the camera on Bulb and set the remote intervalomter to 20 seconds. 

The first image is a little dark (see the histogram). It was 13 seconds, f/2.8, ISO 1600.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 134737.jpg

Unprocessed.jpgProcessed.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements