cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a err99 yesterday, removed the card & battery, put in again and now blank

merrygold
Apprentice

6 REPLIES 6

Jason
Whiz

Hi, merrygold!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which camera model you are using.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 12 AM ET, and Saturday between 10AM and 8PM ET.

Thanks and have a great day!

Rebel XT, got it in 2007 (and btw the on camera flash has not worked for about 3 years -- cannot even get it to pop up -- but another stor)

Err99 is a undefined message that the camera knows something is wrong but it does not know what.

It is either a lens to camera contact problem, and bad CF card or a faulty battery.

So you need to clean the lens/camera contact pins with denatured alcohol and Q-tip.  Buy a brand new high quality CF card.

Buy a brand new Canon battery and fully charge it.

If these things do not work you may need a trip to Canon service.

The pop-up flash's linkage is probably just dirty, too.  A fairly easy fix with a little denatured alcohol.  You may need to press the flash button and help it pop up with a finger nail.

BTW, if you are using off-brand lenses, Tamron, Tokina, etc, they can and do cause Err99.  Best to stay with Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, the camera seems to be working now. I actually bought neither a new CF card not a new camera battery -- i have had a spare larger one for a few years. I did buy a new 2016 cell battery -- the first replacement since getting the camera I believe. after giving the camera time it seemed to restore it. i did have to reset the date so i belive this may have restored to defaults. I will try the advice given here as far as the flash though for the morst part I use the same  off the camera flash I used with my film EOS-1 camera. I believe this is the 430 EZ (do not have it with me at this very present moment)

Appreciate all of the advice. New CF card to be bought soon though as i belive that might really be a good idea (as well as a digital flash haha though mine seems extremely compatible and serves all of my needs extremely well with the exception of not being able to do rear curtain sync.)

Thanks again!

oh an all of my lenses are Canon  and some about 20 years old but like the flash -- extremely compatible and excellent results to this day. Canon flash, canon body, canon lens and other misc. parts and assessories.

Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements