cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t6, everyday lense

Maggie83
Apprentice
I'm thinking about getting a rebel t6 with just the body and getting my own lenses, 50mm for portraits and 10-18mm for scenery/landscapes. The main purpose for buying the camera is for an upcoming trip to Colorado, so I think those two lenses should be fine for family pictures and scenery shots. But what would be a good "everyday" type lens, something just for general use when I'm out and about and not necessarily taking pictures of grand mountains? Should I get the t6 that comes with a kit lens (and a boatload of other stuff), and consider that an everyday lens?
6 REPLIES 6

@Maggie83 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a rebel t6 with just the body and getting my own lenses, 50mm for portraits and 10-18mm for scenery/landscapes. The main purpose for buying the camera is for an upcoming trip to Colorado, so I think those two lenses should be fine for family pictures and scenery shots. But what would be a good "everyday" type lens, something just for general use when I'm out and about and not necessarily taking pictures of grand mountains? Should I get the t6 that comes with a kit lens (and a boatload of other stuff), and consider that an everyday lens?

50mm is a bit short for portraits, and the 10-18mm, though a decent lens, is too wide for most landscapes. The kit lenses tend to be mediocre, and you'd probably find most of the "boatload of other stuff" nearly useless.

Most of us consider the best "walking around" lens for a T6 to be the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Maggie83 wrote:

First and foremost, Canon does NOT sell the T6 without a lens, always as a body only.  It should always be in a camera kit with an 18-55mm lens, or with an addtional 75-300mm lens.  Visit the Canon online Refurbished store.  Check out the features of a T6 carefully, because it is the bottom tier camera and it cannot do some things people take for granted.

Most every deal that I have seen that gives you "a boat load of stuff" with the camera is usually a mother lode of junk.  Go for the basic camera kit with the 18-55mm lens, if you want a T6.  

Bob and I agree on most things, but when it comes to shooting landscapes, an ultra-wide lens like the 10-18mm is perfect.  Try to keep the camera level with the horizon, not pointing slightly up or down, for best results with an ultra wide angle lens.  Use a tripod for best results, so that you can always shoot at ISO 100 in Av mode, set to f/8.

The kit that includes the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and the EF-S 10-18mm, is a great deal.  If you have a sturdy, robust tripod, you can always roll the camera on its' side to portrait orientation and use the 50mm to take a series of panoramic shots.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Maggie,

Now for my 2 cents worth but totally free of charge. Smiley Happy

I think, form what you said, it gives me an indication, you are a little more savvy than a T6.  Most people that buy cameras in the T6 class don't know what you already have shown.  So, I think the T6i or T7i would be a better fit.  They will take you as far as you may want to go with photography.

A T6i body and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is not just a good kit it is a great kit.  It is really all you need for Colorado.  It will do both portraits at the 55mm side and landscapes at the 17mm end.  It is fast and is a constant aperture a big plus.  The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a way better lens than the standard kit lens.

Never, never, never, never buy any of those packages form places like Amazon or Cosco or wherever.  They are worthless. Purchase your new camera and lens from a place like B&H, Adorama, Robert's, etc, or Best Buy or even a local camera store.  Nice thing about Best Buy or the local camera store is you can have hands on before you buy.  However just get the Rebel T6i and the lens.

BTW, you might check out Canon Refurb store and see if they have one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Maggie83
Apprentice
Thanks all...I ended up crossing over into Nikon territory 😮 I've always used Canon, but the d3400 is *supposedly* better than the t6, while still in my price range. Got a refurbished body and a refurbished 35mm. Reeeeally hoping I don't regret going with Nikon, b/c canon lenses are so much cheaper!

@Maggie83 wrote:
Thanks all...I ended up crossing over into Nikon territory 😮 I've always used Canon, but the d3400 is *supposedly* better than the t6, while still in my price range. Got a refurbished body and a refurbished 35mm. Reeeeally hoping I don't regret going with Nikon, b/c canon lenses are so much cheaper!

The one good thing about the capitalist system is that when there actually is serious competition, everybody benefits - even the competitors. It wasn't all that many years ago that Nikon seemed to have gone ahead in most respects; then Canon surged back in front.  Eventually the worm will turn again. As long as it keeps happening, we'll all be better off for it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Maggie said,

"...the d3400 is *supposedly* better than the t6,..."

This depends on whom you ask.  I, on the other hand will tell you the truth.  I own and shoot both Canon and Nikon.  I am not a fan of the D3300 nor the D3400.  But I am not a fan of the Rebel T6 either.  All of them are capable cameras for beginners. It really is a pick the one you like best deal.

The history is, in the beginning photography belonged to Nikon.  However, Canon always produced the best lenses.  This caused Nikon to lose some photographers.  But this was in the good old days of film.  Enter the digital age and Canon ruled in every aspect.  Cameras and lenses.  Enter the video age. Canon again has ruled in every aspect.  Cameras and lenses.

Troubling my mind is lately, Nikon has gained the lead in cameras.  The gap in video has shrunk, too.  Canon still rules the world in lenses.  I have a pretty extensive inventory of both brand's lenses.  I am not in the market for a new body but if I were it would be the D810e.  I have come close to pulling the trigger on a 1Dx but just can't quite do it.  The one thing I prefer greatly is how Canon feels in my hands.  It just feels good, better than any other camera.

One other point that keeps Canon on top is their customer service.  Try to get that same level out of Nikon.  Good luck.

You must remember all current cameras do a fantastic job and much of this is left to the pixel peppers and nit pickers.

Enjoy your new camera and don't look back.

One word on lenses, make sure you get only Nikkor "G" type.  You can get into a world of issues if you don't heed that.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements