Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t3, no longer turns on.

OncorhynchusDan
Apprentice

Hello!

We have tried:

New batteries and new, formatted/reformatted memory cards.

From what I can see all switches appear to be working.

Your thoughts? Suggestions? The closest camera repair shop is an hour or so away, so we are really hoping for a solution we can do here before making that trek.

Thank you friends!

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The only other thing to try is to turn it off, remove the battery and let it sit for a day or two before turning it on. You should turn it on with the battery out to make sure it discharges.

When the battery is in, does the little red light flash when you remove and insert the card?

Tim
Authority

Hello OncorhynchusDan, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Have you checked the switches on the battery and memory card doors, or do the doors themselves appear to not close fully and not activate the switches? Are you using full size SD cards or Micro SD cards with an adapter?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The closest camera repair shop is an hour ..."

Br advised a used T3 sells for around $200 bucks or sometimes even less.  The cost of service or repair may not be feasible since you can replace it for that amount. Cleaning the lens contacts is unlikely to help but since it is free to do, why not? If you do have any third party attachments, remove them. Actually if you do have something throw it away and do not use it anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...remove the battery and let it sit for a day or two before turning it on."

I can't see this doing anything to help.  If it is an attempt to set it back to factory default, it will take much longer than a day or two. I would start looking for a replacement camera. Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a newer more current model Rebel.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well; We *did* take it up to Seattle to a shop. (We kept in mind the repairs might be more than the unit is work, as posted before)

We were qouted 260.00 to even diagnose it. So we opted to move on - I got many years of use out of it. We are researching upgrades presently.

I wanted to say thank you for your suggestions and assistance 🙂

Announcements