cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t3 has fully Charged battery, but won't turn on....any suggestions?

Chatty94
Apprentice
I have tried two fully charged batteries, but my rebel t3 won't turn on.....it is about 4 years old....it has not been dropped or damaged....and I used it about 3-4 weeks ago with no problem. Any suggestions?

I did read in the manual that there are two different batteries......I have no idea where the second one is located or even how big it is.....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lauras2dolist
Apprentice

My rebel t3i wouldnt turn on! Thougt it was the battery so I bought a new one. Didn't work. Read some post and thought maybe there was a loose connetcion where the battery goes or the memory card. If either one of those isn't secure it won't work. Not the case. It was my memory card, I has switched it from my Nikon to my Canon and it wouldn't work. I put the memory card into my Mac, deleted everything off of it, put the card back in and the camera works fine. Years of using cameras and I guess I am an idiot....but you don't switch memory cards back and forth unless you format them first. MY BAD.

Happy to have finally solved this problem and at no cost..except now I have a back up battery..which isn't a bad thing.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Please see the above two posts relating to this matter.

Update: I took the camera with me to Greece during the summer.  It worked fine all of the time and didn't need the terminals to be blowed on.  What we have here folks is probably a temperature-related electrical fault.  The heat from one's breath increases the temperature in the camera and temporarily resolves the switch-on problem. My guess is that when we go to New York in late December, we will have some major issues with the camera because of the cold weather.

Sounds like the moisture in your breath was just enough to allow the contacts to get cleaned when the card and or battery was inserted. If the problem comes back and blowing works again or doesn't I would buy a can of Deoxit 5 or the small bottle of it and use that to clean off the internal contacts. Spray it or brush it on the card's contacts and the battery's contacts, insert both, remove both a few times to clean them better. 

@John_ wrote:

...I would buy a can of Deoxit 5 or the small bottle of it and use that to clean off the internal contacts...

Deoxit 5 is a truly miraculous elixir, isn't it? Robot wink

Deoxit 5 cannot be beaten!

evanphilipps - thanks so much for your post describing a way to solve the T3i malfunction with a fully charged battery!!!!

I formatted my SD 128GB card using my MacBook Pro, popped the SD card in my T3i, turned the switch to "On" and

cautiously openned the screen - and voila! - works fine!!!

7dprofit
Apprentice
Try switching memory card. I find that if i have certain types of files on the sd card the camera doesnt fully turn on. Ive found that if i also use the sd card in other camera types as well that issue happens

7dprofit
Apprentice
Does the little red light at the lower right blinks at all when you switch on
Announcements