cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t1i won't take pic in Af but will in mf. Help!!

Narredondo731
Apprentice

My rebel t1i will not take pictures if switched to Af on lens. It keeps trying to focus but unable to push shutter down and take pic. I've tried two different lenses. I have also done sensor cleaning. Camera will take pic when switched over to mf. Help!!

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
It is not shooting in AF because it is not focusing. Could be the light is a little too dim for the camera to grab focus. Try again outside in sunlight and see if the problem goes away. Could also be you are too close to the subject and are under the minimum focus distance.

Switch to One Shot AF and see if that helps if the above does not.

If none of above helps it may be the camera has an issue since you have this issue with two lenses. How long have you had this equipment and has it worked ok before? What lenses?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

^^ This

But also... switch the camera to "live view" mode.  Live view uses a different focusing system than the normal through-the-viewfinder mode.

If you are having a problem with the phase-detect focus sensors (btw, you should test by picking each individual point in the AF array to see if some work while others fail) then switching to live-view would let you bypass the phase-detect system.   Live-view uses "contrast detect" focusing and ignores the phase-detect array.

If you also have a problem with live-view then the issue may be with the lens.

The camera will not take a shot when using auto-focus in "One Shot" mode UNLESS you can lock focus on at least one AF point.  This feature is called "focus priority" (requiring a focus-lock before it'll take a picture).  If you switch the lens to manual focus then the feature is disabled.  ALSO... if you switch to AI Servo focus the camera behavior switches to "release priority".  "Release Priority" requires that the camera takes the picture when you fully press the shutter button... and it will do this whether the lens has had a chance to focus or not (most often used for action photography becuase it will will continuously refine focus while you track a subject... but when you fully press the shutter button you want the camera take the shot at that moment.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements