cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XT Mode Dial broke off how can I fix it?

Coloradokev
Apprentice

Hello,

My Rebel XT Mode Dial broke off - how can I fix it? I saw somewhere that someone used a sticky, non-hardening auto gasket adhesive but unfortunately I did not bookmark the page.

In addition to a recommended adhesive/glue type,  I also need to find out how to match the mode knob setting image with the mode setting shaft so that I "glue" the knob to the  mode shaft correctly (so that the mode symbol is the correct one)

14 REPLIES 14

@Coloradokev wrote:

Thanks for your reply Robert,

I think I will try to find a good used (body only) newer model thatn the Rebel XT. If you can guide me to companies or trusted individuals that are selling good used bodies, that would be awesome. I'm assuming that my Canon and Sigma lenses will be compatible with newer Canon EOS models correct?

Canon lenses, yes. Canon is pretty good about making their cameras backwards-compatible with their existing lenses.

Sigma, not so much. Canon doesn't have a lot of reason to care whether their cameras stay compatible with Sigma's lenses, and incompatibilities do pop up from time to time. Sigma has been known to upgrade lenses that are shown to be incompatible, and they now sell a dock that allows a user to do firmware upgrades without sending the lenses back to the factory. But it can still be a bit hit-or-miss. I have a few older Sigma lenses, and I haven't encountered any obvious incompatibilities - yet.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BP1975
Apprentice

My mode cover fell off and I cannot find the identical match on Amazon I have a Canon EOS Rebel Sport XTI. 

Can anyone help me?

Look for a broken camera being sold for parts on eBay.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Follow kvbarkley's advice.  Its going to take some hunting and luck to find parts for a camera this old

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

Two other excellent used camera dealers are UsedPhotoPro.com and MPB.com

Your Digital Rebel XT is a CROP-SENSOR camera that uses Canon EF or EF-S lenses, or equivalents from other makers. If you get a FULL-FRAME body, it will only take EF lenses, NOT EF-S.

Announcements