cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XT Mode Dial broke off how can I fix it?

Coloradokev
Apprentice

Hello,

My Rebel XT Mode Dial broke off - how can I fix it? I saw somewhere that someone used a sticky, non-hardening auto gasket adhesive but unfortunately I did not bookmark the page.

In addition to a recommended adhesive/glue type,  I also need to find out how to match the mode knob setting image with the mode setting shaft so that I "glue" the knob to the  mode shaft correctly (so that the mode symbol is the correct one)

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The second part is easy. The camera screen tells you what mode it is in. Just line up that mode with the index mark.

lly3988
Rising Star

If you can find the part to buy, follow the video instruction. I would use a toothpick to apply the three tiny bits of glue instead of the tube itself. If you squeeze it a bit too hard, you risk applying too much glue and make a mess out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijs2ECYm6r0

Actually the entire knob broke off. This video like refers to just the mode image cap. My knob snapped off at the knob shaft. Any suggestions on how to fit it?

@Coloradokevwrote:

Actually the entire knob broke off. This video like refers to just the mode image cap. My knob snapped off at the knob shaft. Any suggestions on how to fit it?

If the shaft is broken, that's a major issue. Just gluing it back on is unlikely to solve anything. Either the glued joint won't withstand the torsional forces, or the glue will get into the mechanism and cause more problems. Or both.

If you've had professional experience repairing electronic equipment, you might buy another XT and cannibalize if for the necessary part(s). Or if you can find one in working order, just use that instead. Any approach that involves having your camera repaired is probably going to cost you more than an upgrade to a newer camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"My Rebel XT Mode Dial broke off - how can I fix it?"

Glue it?  I doubt it will work.

"If the shaft is broken, that's a major issue. Just gluing it back on is unlikely to solve anything."

I agree with this statement.

"...  how can I fix it?"

The Rebel XT is a $40 to $60 dollar camera.  Go find a nice 'pre-owned' one for sale.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your reply!

I think I will try to find a good used (body only) newer model than the Rebel XT. If you can guide me to companies or trusted individuals that are selling good used bodies, that would be awesome. I'm assuming that my Canon and Sigma lenses will be compatible with newer Canon EOS models correct?

How will I be able to tell if a used  Caonon EOS is not worn out? I heard somewhere that the sensor is good for a few thousand pictures and then pixels begin to fail. Is that accurate?

@Coloradokev wrote:

How will I be able to tell if a used  Caonon EOS is not worn out? I heard somewhere that the sensor is good for a few thousand pictures and then pixels begin to fail. Is that accurate?

Don’t buy used gear on an auction site.  Reputable used camera gear dealers employ a rating system.  I have had good experiences with B&H and KEH.  Both have limited guarantees and ratings.  I think that KEH is more modest than B&H.  

I suggest looking up KEH for an older used camera body.  I have had good experience buying used accessories from them both.  I even bought a camera from KEH, which had a bad battery.  They sent me a replacement right away, at no charge.

I am wary of buying used lenses, though, because of the risk of spreading fungus, mold, and mildew.  Lenses can acquire mold, which is difficult to completely purge out of a lens, or a camera body.  Once it attacks a piece of gear, I think the best thing to do is to toss it, because it can spread to your other stuff very easily, if it has not already.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" I have a few older Sigma lenses, and I haven't encountered any obvious incompatibilities - yet."

Well, I have a lot of lenses.  All ages.  I don't generally have any of the cheap third party lenses, whether they work or not they are not worth the effort to even try.  But the ones I do have work OK.  Especially the SIgma models.  Tamron and Tokina may have a lens or two that don't work.  Just the very old usually film models, not any of the newer ones.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your reply Robert,

I think I will try to find a good used (body only) newer model thatn the Rebel XT. If you can guide me to companies or trusted individuals that are selling good used bodies, that would be awesome. I'm assuming that my Canon and Sigma lenses will be compatible with newer Canon EOS models correct?

Announcements