cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XT - Err CF, then Err 99 when I try to format

ramydenton
Apprentice

I picked up a Rebel XT on ebay, and when I turn it on I get Err CF. From what I've seen, I should just have to format the flash card, but when I hit format, I get Err 99. Everyone on google either links to a dead website, or just says to check the lens contacts, but I don't even have a lens right now.

I'm using a Micro SD to CF card, if that makes any difference.

5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hello ramydenton, 

First impressions have us thinking this type of issue is being caused by card you're using.  Those "adapter" cards which utilize a smaller card adapted to a larger format have the potential to cause this issue.  We'd highly recommend using a dedicated CompactFlash media card, not one with an adapter.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ramydenton wrote:

I picked up a Rebel XT on ebay, and when I turn it on I get Err CF. From what I've seen, I should just have to format the flash card, but when I hit format, I get Err 99. Everyone on google either links to a dead website, or just says to check the lens contacts, but I don't even have a lens right now.

I'm using a Micro SD to CF card, if that makes any difference.

Your card is more than likely the source of your issue.  

You definitely want to use an actual CF card.  I never knew that they made micro-SD cards with CF adapters.  The two technologies are so very different that I would not think that they would cross-compatible with one another.  

I hope that you have not damaged the camera, which just may have been already damaged or nonfunctional.  When it comes to buying big ticket items online, eBay is not on my list of where to shop. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I never knew that they made micro-SD cards with CF adapters.  The two technologies are so very different that I would not think that they would cross-compatible with one another.  

Holy crap! They actually do make such a thing! And it doesn't hold just one Micro SD card, but two! Robot tongue I think I'd rather just stick my car keys in there and wiggle them around and get it over with.

s-l500.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm using a Micro SD to CF card, if that makes any difference."

It does, don't do it. It may not be the cause but it ain't helping either.

"I picked up a Rebel XT on ebay,..."

OK, but you know this is a camera that is no longer supported? Repair is unlikely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

You might also check to see if there is a maximum card capacity that the camera can recognize. A Rebel XT/XTi might not know what to do with a 32GB or 64GB CF card.

Announcements