cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XSi 450D software

jdc
Contributor

I am 35mm dinosaur trying to go digital. Have Rebel XSi 450D without original software. Want to transfer images to a laptop.   Have viewed all pertinent messages. Confused. Need simplification.

I.   Will use of PTP setting negate need for original software?

2.  Will use of card reader with laptop negate need for original software?

3.  Will download of solution disk package from Canon site truly work?

4.  Will I need to also download the utility package from this site as well. If so which one first?

Please and thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jdc wrote:

I am 35mm dinosaur trying to go digital. Have Rebel XSi 450D without original software. Want to transfer images to a laptop.   Have viewed all pertinent messages. Confused. Need simplification.

4.  Will I need to also download the utility package from this site as well. If so which one first?

Please and thank you.

You can download the software from the following link

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

You should find software to transfer files, software to process files, and more.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Default setting has the camera recognized as a USB drive.

Yes

Yes

No

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

A card reader should be all you need unless you want to process the RAW files it may produce. That will require some software from Canon or a 3rd party.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jdc wrote:

Please and thank you.

You can download the software from the following link

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

You should find software to transfer files, software to process files, and more.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What kind of computer? If you have a Mac iPhotos/Photos should work just fine.

Once you set PTP, try to plug your camera into a USB port on the computer with a good USB cable. What happens?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Default setting has the camera recognized as a USB drive.

Yes

Yes

No

Thanks for advice. I am dithering between reader and download. Do not like logistcs of the first or the unwanted extras packaged with the second. Will be deciding this weekend while learning how to use the camera. Would appreciate hearing from any other digitally-challenged out there who has been in this situation with similar camera and Windows 8.1

jdc
Contributor

Finally found time for practice photo session. The Canon download works perfectly. I shied away from the card reader as afraid to buy wrong one. Only camera store here is snotty with newbies and advice from big box store clerks is iffy:(

Big thank you to the experts who take time for this forum.

jdc
Contributor

Update on situation. The free software will transfer images automatically and will transfer only new images - so that is good. But I did not get EOS Utility screen on laptop nor the Direct transfer screen on camera. So I had no further control in selecting images to transfer. I went back and downloaded free EOS Utility software but it made no difference. I tried the select and transfer function on camera menu but that did not work. So if I want a single image off camera I have to transfer everything and then delete all but one I want.Tedious.

@jdc wrote:

Update on situation. The free software will transfer images automatically and will transfer only new images - so that is good. But I did not get EOS Utility screen on laptop nor the Direct transfer screen on camera. So I had no further control in selecting images to transfer. I went back and downloaded free EOS Utility software but it made no difference. I tried the select and transfer function on camera menu but that did not work. So if I want a single image off camera I have to transfer everything and then delete all but one I want.Tedious.

Forgive me for putting it so bluntly, but your aversion to a card reader is silly. They're inexpensive and easy to use, and it's very difficult to buy the "wrong one". I forget whether your 450D uses a CF card or an SD card, but almost any card reader made today will read either. Virtually all serious photographers use card readers, and a card reader will solve your problem the first time you plug it in.

BTW, don't be selective about which pictures you upload to the computer. Upload them all and copy them to a backup medium; then winnow them down as needed. Leaving them in the camera is a good way to accidentally lose valuable images and be kicking yourself afterwards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@jdc wrote:

The EOS Utility allows you to select one, some, or all images in the camera.  You must be overlooking something.

Announcements