cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XSI Wont Format

Rosb4ugh
Apprentice

I have a SDHC 8GB and it wont format in the camera? it just stays on Busy forever. I dont know what to do

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Make sure you are using the SD card recommended in your manual. Format it with your computer (Windows) and try it in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Do you have an older 2GB or 4GB card that you can try formatting in the camera?

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I believe that your model allows regular and low level formatting for cards.  A low level format normally takes longer but if a regular format isn't working try a low level format, this is done within the format menu of your camera.

But frankly, if you are having difficulty formatting a card I don't think I would trust that card with photos.  It may be fine once you format it but at least currently it isn't behaving as expected which would be a big red flag to me.  Even if you successfully format it, whatever current issue has occurred may reoccur after you have stored photos on the card.

If you just bought this card I would return it and get another.  CAUTION:  Counterfeiting of memory cards is a big problem because it is so profitable for the counterfeiter free-riding on the business image of the card they are copying.  Another profit driver for these knock-off cards is the use of low quality or reject memory.  If buying online, stick with B&H or other camera or computer specialty stores but NOT the big general merchandise online retailer which is where I received counterfeit SD cards a few years ago.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements