cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XS to T5 upgrade

TurnpikeWarrior
Apprentice

I have a Rebel XS that I'm pretty happy with.

I have the opportunity to buy a T5 for short money.

Not really in the market, I'm a pretty casual shooter, but is it worth upgrading? Will I see that big of a difference?

My first post! Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is practically a doubling of resolution, and you get live view and movies, so yes it is worth it.

And better high ISO performance.  (less digital noise) 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks guys. I hesitated and missed it. Oh well...there will be others.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Will I see that big of a difference?"

Of course a moot point now but for future reference, the correct answer was probably no. SUrprised?  It is the correct answer because of your statement, "I'm a pretty casual shooter,..."

The second part of that same statement, "... but is it worth upgrading?", has a different answer which only you can answer. To me the answer is, yes, but if you never needed any new feature that a newer model has is it truly "worth it"?

Example my newer 1DX does video. So did my old camera but I never shoot video so I don't care and don't need a newer camera because it does better video than my old one. Make sense?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I know exactly what you mean; I am a videographer by trade, I don't care about video on a still camera or a phone for that matter. But anyway, the good news is I did find another T5 for a reasonable price with only 15 clicks on it, so I will be upgrading. Thanks for the advice.

@TurnpikeWarrior wrote:
I know exactly what you mean; I am a videographer by trade, I don't care about video on a still camera or a phone for that matter. But anyway, the good news is I did find another T5 for a reasonable price with only 15 clicks on it, so I will be upgrading. Thanks for the advice.

If the body is in full working order, you should be very pleased with it.  It does not have the best dynamic range, but it performs very well with fast lenses and low ISO settings.  I would try to keep it at or below ISO 400.  ISO 800 would be as high as I would let it go, which still needed a little Noise Reduction in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements