Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7i will not focus or shoot in high humidity, shoots fine when dry

BonnieM
Contributor
Rebel T7i
22 REPLIES 22

@BonnieM wrote:
All of what you suggested was tried when I spoke with Canon the first time and we could not resolve the issue. I have shot on an ice day with great conditions and no issues. In the past I have shot on days with high humidity with no issues. For some reason this problem has only existed in the past month. Also, how would you explain that I can get one or two shots then press the shutter button and nothing happens - in good light - and no settings on the camera have been changed? It seems to me that if this is “operator error” then I would never be able to get a shot, but as long as humidity is low, I can shoot. I have taken many photos of the moon, some Milky Way photos, low light, long exposure of waterfalls - so it’s not like I don’t know how to use the camera.

You're physically pressing the shutter button, right? Not setting it off from a computer via a WiFi connection? I ask because one thing that water in the air can do is lower the reliability of weak-signal RF communications. That, and the water in intervening leaves, is what makes satellite radio harder to receive in the summer. And digital broadcast TV harder to receive when it's raining.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BonnieM
Contributor
Not foggy, just humid. I live in the mountains of West Virginia. It’s not foggy, just higher humidity than normal for this time of year. But, I also had the camera out last fall immediately after rain and had no issues - conditions similar to what we have now.

@BonnieM wrote:
Not foggy, just humid. I live in the mountains of West Virginia. It’s not foggy, just higher humidity than normal for this time of year. But, I also had the camera out last fall immediately after rain and had no issues - conditions similar to what we have now.

I hear you, but rain lowers, not raises, the humidity of the air.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" But, I also had the camera out last fall immediately after rain and had no issues - conditions similar to what we have now."

This is why I urge you to look elsewhere for the problem.  My guess, it is not humidity at all.  It is just a condition that is present you are connecting to the camera. If you don't open up the possibilities you may never solve the problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BonnieM
Contributor
Great suggestion - I had thought about that. I will call them in the morning to find out where to send it.

BonnieM
Contributor
I am looking at other possibilities. I have a couple of much more experienced/technical people I am going to have look at it.

BonnieM
Contributor
@RobertTheFat - yes, normally it does, but I can tell you that right now the humidity is abnormally high for this time of year. I will be trying it again this afternoon and will let you know the results.

BonnieM
Contributor
@ebiggs1 - what would cause the problem to to intermittent? Same settings, same light, same everything, but still no photo. That’s the part that is getting me. Normally something either works or it doesn’t work, intermittent with worsening the longer outside is why I am leaning toward environmental conditions.

Believe me I know how frustrating a problem like this can be.  That is why you need to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities.  It could be so intermittent that the Canon tech never experienced it. My gut feeling is it is not humidity though, still.

If you think of or see any additional conditions please get back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BonnieM
Contributor
Thank you! And I will get video to show I am not crazy.
Announcements