cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 won't focus in sport mode.

Mommafox4
Apprentice

Hi,

I just got my new Cannon Rebel T7 for Christmas and it will NOT focus in sport mode when I'm trying to take photos of my kids playing soccer/basketball/baseball.  I'm wondering if I have something set incorrectly.  Can soimeone help me?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Please explain more about won't focus. Are you seeing a focus problem or a motion blur problem where camera isn't stopping action? Typically the camera won't take a photo if it doesn't achieve focus. The green dot will be flashing as it tries to focus; when focus is achieved the green dot goes out.

I am assuming:  1. you set the dial icon to the running man icon, 2. the lens is in AF position. 3. you are using the center point to focus, 4. there is enough light , 5. you are setting the focus point on an object with contrast (not a solid colored sports jersey for example) and 6. you are far enough away from the lens to be beyond the minimum focus distance.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Read thru User manual, ALL thru.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...it will NOT focus in sport mode..."

But it does AF in other modes?  If it does then, yes, you "have something set incorrectly...". Or, are doing something incorrectly as pointed out above.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Read ALL thru User manual.  Is battery good?    Try mssg to Canon on Fbook.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1. @Mommafox4 wrote:

Hi,

I just got my new Cannon Rebel T7 for Christmas and it will NOT focus in sport mode when I'm trying to take photos of my kids playing soccer/basketball/baseball.  I'm wondering if I have something set incorrectly.  Can soimeone help me?

I do not have a T7 to test how Sport Mode works.  However, I believe you will not see an active AF point display, as [the] camera does not have [many] AF points   However, you should see what appears to be a static AF point display.

As you maintain a half-press on the shutter, you should hear the camera emitting beeps as it continuously refocuses on whatever is within the field of view of the AF points.  

When using [Sports] mode, I believe the camera is actually operating in AI Focus mode.  You may hear the beeping when you point the camera at a static scene, as the camera is locking focus in One Shot mode.  However, if the camera detects something moving within the field of view of the AF points, the beeping may cease while the lens should continue to refocus, because the camera may now be using AI Servo AF.  AI Servo AF does not beep while locking focus.

What happens when the top dial is set to Green [A]?  Does the camera operate as you expect it should?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements