cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 - objects appearing black on white background

saraahoo
Apprentice

I will start by saying I am new to cameras and Im working with my first one so I dont really know anything about them. 

I purchased the Rebel T7 to take pictures of clothing for my online biz. I have dark gray and dark blue jeans that I am attempting to photograph on a white background. The lighting in the room is good. I have a ring light on each side. In each photo, the jeans look black. Im not sure where to start with the settings. I'll attach the photos for reference. Any help is appreciated. IMG_0654.JPGIMG_0663.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I cannot offer any explanation as to why your photos appear black and white.  Not enough info.

However, you may want to consider purchasing Photoshop.  There is no law that says you must capture the initial image with a pure white background, because this can be easily changed in Photoshop.  Likewise, you do not have to take a photo of each color in a particular style, because you can take one photo, and change the color of it for all your variations.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"However, you may want to consider purchasing Photoshop.  There is no law that says you must capture the initial image with a pure white background, because this can be easily changed in Photoshop"

This is the correct reply.  Especially if you are a serious business person. Also, as is the advice to use Raw format. WB has no effect on Raw and is totally adjusted in PS.

About the learning time needed for PS, it is as long and intense as you want it. Or, it is as short as you need it to be.  It is no more difficult that any of the very much lesser programs out there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@saraahoo wrote:

I will start by saying I am new to cameras and Im working with my first one so I dont really know anything about them. 

I purchased the Rebel T7 to take pictures of clothing for my online biz. I have dark gray and dark blue jeans that I am attempting to photograph on a white background. The lighting in the room is good. I have a ring light on each side. In each photo, the jeans look black. Im not sure where to start with the settings. I'll attach the photos for reference. Any help is appreciated. IMG_0654.JPGIMG_0663.JPG

Your white background isn't showing white - it is showing as gray.

The camera exposure system is set up to reach an exposure of middle gray - that's how they all work. If you don't compensate snow will be gray as will the inside of a coal mine.

Set your camera to P mode. Look in your instruction manual to see how to adjust the exposure compensation for your camera.

Dial in 1 and 1/2 stops of exposure compensation and see if that helps. It should make the background moere white and lighten up the clothing items.

Also, turn off Auto Lighting Optimizer - you have it on Strong.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Following the instructions above using P mode and compensation should give you close to the results you are looking for but you still may need to make slight adjustments to your pictures afterwards. You don't need to buy photoshop and spend weeks learning how to use it, there are many free and simple editing programs available, for instance "Fastone" which will be found with a google search.

Even your original shots can be rescued, as below:

IMG_0654p.JPG

IMG_0663p.JPG

Nice work Ray. 

Free Canon DPP is another option. 

And shooting RAW as well. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements