cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6s Aperture Priority Frustration

PHenry
Contributor

Perhaps someone has a fix for this out there, but I rather doubt it. I just got a T6s to use as a travel camera (my 5D3 gets a bit heavy). I paired it with the Tamron 16-300 lens and I am fairly satisfied with everything except what I was hoping to use as my "grab shot" mode: using aperture priority with automatic ISO. It does function, and actually compensates the shutter speed for the current zoom focal length. The issue is that the shutter speed selected is HIGHLY conservative, which drives the ISO up to ridiculous levels. It appears to more or less follow the old shutter speed = 1/focal length rule, which is punishing when modern image stabilization improves that by three stops or more. Does anyone know how I can modify this behavior? I know I can run it in a more manual manner, which I do 98% of the time. But sometimes leaning on automatic exposure is the only way to capture those extemporaneous fast moving events one hopes to run in to while traveling.

Thanks for any ideas.

10 REPLIES 10

@PHenry wrote:

Yes, when I have needed quick shots in varying light conditions I have been using manual with auto ISO for some time now. I was hoping for another level of automation with aperture priority plus floating ISO. The current behavior of the camera supports that approach. As light reduces, shutter speeds slow to a certain minimum, then the ISO begins to increase. That's what I do manually. It's just that the minimum shutter speeds do not take credit for IS, which forces unnecessarily high ISO.

The root frustration for me is that it is such a seemingly simple thing to fix. No hardware changes necessary, just provide a menu option for the user to specify the level of IS they are comfortable with. Say, up to 4 stops at 1/2 stop steps. Canon lenses and a lot of third party lenses are recognized by the firmware, so it would know when to automatically apply the IS credit. Otherwise, just like so many camera settings, it would be up to the user to apply the IS credit appropriately for a given lens. 

Thank you all for your thoughts. I will now continue my shopping.....

There are three legs to the Exposure Triangle: shutter speed, aperture size, and ISO value.  The camera can be configured to control any one leg, any pair of legs, or all three legs.  You can set limits on the range of ISO adjustments and shutter speeds that the camera can automatically set.  

I don't like to allow the camera to adjust aperture, so not including limits on aperture are not a problem for me..  I don't like for the camera to control more than one leg of the exposure, either.

As far as "ISO credit" goes, I have no idea what you're talking about.  Image Stabilization is a mixed blessing, anyway.  It can just as easily be your ally as it can be your worst enemy.  If you shoot from a tripod, which I frequently do, then you want to disable IS, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements