cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6i video going black

eddiehuff
Apprentice

While shooting video recently, the image started going black momentarily, then fading back in. This happened several times while recording a series of songs for a musician friend during a concert. I had hoped it was just a screen issue, but it recorded the video that way. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you get any temperature warning?

Did someone fire a bright light into the camera that might have caused it to temporarily underexpose?

Hopefully it is not a bad sensor.

No temperature warning. Maybe the stage lights caused it to underexpose, though I've shot videos at concerts many times before without issue.

Should be obvious in the video if something appeared to over expose it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go back and look and see if there any obvious triggers.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

It sounds like you're shooting your video in Auto Exposure mode. If that's the case, have you made any changes to the camera's metering mode? Say from Average to Evaluative or Spot Metering mode?

Maybe try shooting some video in Manual Exposure mode and see if that alleviates the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I went back and checked the video, and the blackouts do seem to correspond to stage backlights hitting the lens. I'll switch to manual exposure next time I'm in a situation like that.

Announcements