cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6I Sky Banding?

ElectricMuppet
Enthusiast

Hello!

I bought a Canon Rebel T6I a few months ago and I just took it outside for a spin. I've noticed in all of my photos outside I have these weird bars. I have no idea why. I figured maybe it could've been the weather since it's been horrendously cold lately, but today I went out to test if it was the bad weather and took a photograph instantly and it's still there.  I came here hoping that people who know photography would be able to tell me what this is and what may be causing it? It seems to only happen in they sky of my photos. I've taken indoor photos and they don't seem to be appearent. I have edited these in Lightroom and cropped them in Photoshop so they're more visable. The second image I edited it heavly to show it incase if its not all the visible in the first image. The second image it was snowing when I took it. Sorry for the black mess in it. is it noise banding? I've been feverishly looking online for information but alas I have not been able to find anything that seems close to my issue. 

Sorry if something like this has been asked before. I am truely desperate to find out what's going on. I hope its something that I can prevent from happening and not my camera. 

I shot these with a Rokinon 14 mm lens if that helps. Thank you's any information would be truley grateful. 

banding 1.jpgbanding 1.png

71 REPLIES 71

I can see it at %100 zoom in  chrome and windows deault image view thing as well. Video will be up soon. 

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

I'm using that as an example you know what. Here lets experment. I'm gonna upload a video and you's can see my problem directly and how I replicate it. 

At 400% zoom, don't waste your time.  You need to show it Canon Service, not these forums.

Canon service doesn't care as they are concerened my camera is fine. I'm still gonna do it

Well, you need a second opinion.  You don't want mine, however.  Good luck, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

I'm using that as an example you know what. Here lets experment. I'm gonna upload a video and you's can see my problem directly and how I replicate it. 

At 400% zoom, don't waste your time.  You need to show it Canon Service, not these forums.

Canon service doesn't care as they are concerened my camera is fine. I'm still gonna do it

Well, you need a second opinion.  You don't want mine, however.  Good luck, though.

I do want your opinon. I'm just getting stuff together to show that I do infact have a problem so I can get information  how to properly deal with this. Why would I waste my time here if I didn't want others opinons. I would reckon a videos better proof than a photograph with writing over it. That's why I made one.  

All and all this banter is not getting me any closer to fixing my issue. 

The video didn´t really show the problem. The raw files you sent me on the other hand were really bad and the issue is visible.

Send Canon service centre a new email, attach the worst raw files you can find.

As a temporary solution I think a flat field correction could help you. Search for Flat field rawtherapee manual, download the manual and check page 71.Search for flat field rawpedia to get the tutorial of how you take a flat field image.

I think Lightroom has a plugin for Flat field, but somebody who uses softwares from Adobe may be better to answer that question.

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

I do want your opinon. I'm just getting stuff together to show that I do infact have a problem so I can get information  how to properly deal with this. Why would I waste my time here if I didn't want others opinons. I would reckon a videos better proof than a photograph with writing over it. That's why I made one.  

I have already given you my opinion.  Send Canon sample files, but you seem to have ignored that advice.  You do not need to prove anything to forum participants.  You need to convince your Canon service center.  

Now I see that Peter has given you the same advice.  Send a sample to Canon.  I say buy a small memory card.  Take some shots in RAW format that show the issue, so that Canon can read the EXIF data and actually SEE which camera produced the images.

Do not copy files onto a memory card, and leave it inside the camera.  That does not work, and it will look like you are trying fudge the data.  Take some new shots that reproduce the issues, but leave the card in the camera when you send it in.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

I have already given you my opinion.  Send Canon sample files, but you seem to have ignored that advice.  You do not need to prove anything to forum participants.  You need to convince your Canon service center.  

Now I see that Peter has given you the same advice.  Send a sample to Canon.  I say buy a small memory card.  Take some shots in RAW format that show the issue, so that Canon can read the EXIF data and actually SEE which camera produced the images.

Do not copy files onto a memory card, and leave it inside the camera.  That does not work, and it will look like you are trying fudge the data.  Take some new shots that reproduce the issues, but leave the card in the camera when you send it in.

Yes, I will be sending them printed images in the shipping boxes with a marker circling effected areas and a sd card with multiple raws on it. I've been going back in forth in email with a technician and he said yeah I can see it in your "cropped"(I don't crop my photos I bought a 6000X4000 pixel camera for a reason) "edited" "jpegs" but  your raws, which clearly has them nah, sorry amigo. also we dirtying your censor nah that wasn't us bruh. Even though on your repair sheet it clearly shows we said we "cleaned" your sensor nah bruh wasn't us. but I'll offer you one time free cleaning as courtesy. Man I'm livid. Your images and the raws you sent us before with out any gunk on the sensor nah bruh it wasn't us it was you. 

is providing me with uninsured free shipping with the worst mail courier courtesy as well? I might as well drive a railroad spike right through the lens if I decided to ship with that company. either way i'm paying for this clean regardless since it'll cost me another 40 bucks to ship the blasted thing back to canon. $80 down the drain for nothing. 

Take the free shipping.  Canon is self insured, so your package is fully covered.

Canon ended up offering me free cleaning on my sensor. so that's okay then. They also said for me the mark on a peice of paper showcasing where the dead pixel is on my lcd. like others suggested I will be including printed pictures of said banding and a sd card with the images on it. So within a few day's I will be shipping my camera back to Canon. This will most likely be my last response to this thread seeing how if they don't fix the banding this time theres nothing else I can do with the suggestions you's have all given me. at that point I will be forced to bring this outside of the forum and bring this fight to Canons legal department.

Sorry if my responses were ham-fisted. My frustration lies with canon and not the wonderful people of this forum. Thank you all for the advice you have given to me. 

I don't know if this helps but I have an Canon 750D and also have lines, there are 7 broad lines that can be seen on the sencor directly, see http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/512886-canon-banding-help/page-3.

I don't use a memory card on the camera as I have it connected directly to the computer when I am using it in astrophotography so it got nothing to do with a memory card. Many seems to have this problem with 750 and 760D and it seems like an issue with the sensor itself. If I sort the pic in channels it is worse in the blue channel.

Canon750D.jpg

Cleaning the sensor will not cure this. I am about to have mine replaced with another model.

Jim

ElectricMuppet
Enthusiast

Triple posting woo!

The video made it a tad bit harder to see the banding to the naked eye unedited. The bit rate ate it but sure enough I can see a hint of it at the beggining. it become obviously much more noticeable once I edit the contrast to the extreme. then to mildly. click on the actual video and view it at fullscreen 1920X1080 P

Announcements