cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6I Sky Banding?

ElectricMuppet
Enthusiast

Hello!

I bought a Canon Rebel T6I a few months ago and I just took it outside for a spin. I've noticed in all of my photos outside I have these weird bars. I have no idea why. I figured maybe it could've been the weather since it's been horrendously cold lately, but today I went out to test if it was the bad weather and took a photograph instantly and it's still there.  I came here hoping that people who know photography would be able to tell me what this is and what may be causing it? It seems to only happen in they sky of my photos. I've taken indoor photos and they don't seem to be appearent. I have edited these in Lightroom and cropped them in Photoshop so they're more visable. The second image I edited it heavly to show it incase if its not all the visible in the first image. The second image it was snowing when I took it. Sorry for the black mess in it. is it noise banding? I've been feverishly looking online for information but alas I have not been able to find anything that seems close to my issue. 

Sorry if something like this has been asked before. I am truely desperate to find out what's going on. I hope its something that I can prevent from happening and not my camera. 

I shot these with a Rokinon 14 mm lens if that helps. Thank you's any information would be truley grateful. 

banding 1.jpgbanding 1.png

71 REPLIES 71

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't see banding - or any other issues in the top one.

The lower one seems to have some sensor dust and those wierd reflections/artifacts but no banding.

What JPEG setting are you using?

Thank you for the reply kvbarkley!

I am shooting in RAW. Those black lines in the photo are infact snow falling and not dust on my sensor. 
I highlighted the falling snow in red. It's the blue box im worried about. Those lines are in all my photos in the daylight but not in my photos at night or indoors.  I've used a curves layer to hopefully help you's see the lines better. It's hard to see it in raw until its edited. 

I don't know whats causing it. I just went outside and took an image of the snowy street under a street light and everything seems fine in it during night time.

banding2.pngIMG_2256.png

If you are shooting RAW, then turn off all of the noise reduction settings.  You should have a high ISO noise reduction.  There should be a long exposure noise reduction.  Disable the any auto lighting optimizer.  All of those settings, and more, can be realized in post processing, so it is not necessary for the camera to implement them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority

I see 14 lines (7 pairs) in the first one and with exactly same distance to each other. I would say that is is time to send the camera to Canon for a repair if Canon is able to fix it with interpolation or mapping out the lines. It is a known issue with Canon M3, 750D and 760D. If you unmount the lens and take a look at the sensor, you will see 7 lines.

If you check the lines, you will see that you will not have 6 pairs or 8 pairs. You will always get 7 pairs.This is caused due to the Hybrid CMOS AF III system. You can search at google pictures with the keywords Hybrid_CMOS_AF_Generations

I think that if you use Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 the software will mask the problem a little bit.

Thank you Peter for the reply!

That's unfortunetly something I did not want to hear. I just bought the camera two months ago, December 16th to be exact. Kind of lame that I have to send it into Canon already. especially when its not something caused by me haha. is it going to be more money out of my pocket to get my camera fixed? I don't even know where to start to begin such a proccess. I'm gonna try Waddizles advice later on today and post results in sheer hope a miracle happens.

@ElectricMuppet wrote:

Thank you Peter for the reply!

That's unfortunetly something I did not want to hear. I just bought the camera two months ago, December 16th to be exact. Kind of lame that I have to send it into Canon already. especially when its not something caused by me haha. is it going to be more money out of my pocket to get my camera fixed? I don't even know where to start to begin such a proccess. I'm gonna try Waddizles advice later on today and post results in sheer hope a miracle happens.

Warranty, and shouldn´t cost you anything if Canon is able to map out the lines. Call Canon in your country and ask. Also try Canon Photo Professional 4 if you shoot in raw.

Anyway, check your PM because I sent you a message there.

I bought my T6S in December also, and it has no trace of banding even with heavy cropping. I was not aware of a sensor defect.

If you can't resolve the issue with the in camera settings, my suggestion would be to call Canon support and arrange for a warranty return and service. It will cost you nothing but the shipping.

@StanNH wrote:
I bought my T6S in December also, and it has no trace of banding even with heavy cropping. I was not aware of a sensor defect.

If you can't resolve the issue with the in camera settings, my suggestion would be to call Canon support and arrange for a warranty return and service. It will cost you nothing but the shipping.

A quote from Canon:

Canon is able to reproduce the stripes. The stripes will appear in those areas where the pixels for the AF are located. This is causing a lower density of image pixels in those areas. This not a lack of quality, since the effect will be seen only if heavy post-processing is applied. If applied PP is on a normal level, the effect will not be visible

Peter, thanks for the sensor information.  I apparently have not yet reached that threshold in my post processing ... even in what I think are fairly heavily processed pictures, I haven't seen that artifact.  Is this only seen with AF?  Are manual focus and single point focus also effected?

How many models use this same processor with the same potential for these artifacts?

Announcements