Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Rebel T6 Flash

Thank you so much, I'll await your report.

Since it's only 10 days since purchase, I really need to know if I should return it.

BTW be careful what you wear on your head when you do the test.

Everytime I take a photo, the flash unit pops up and knocks my cap off !

VIP

[ Edited ]

@TightGit wrote:

Good afternoon.

I've just bought a Canon 1300D (I believe also known as Rebel T6) and, being a complete novice at photography, I'm using it in Auto Mode.

I'm finding that the flash pops up and fires, even in bright sunlight.

This seems all wrong to me but, as I said, I'm not an expert.

Is this correct, please, or have I got a faulty camera?

Many thanks for any advice.

Peter.

Judging from what you have said, I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera.  If you are using Full Auto shooting mode, which is the Green [A] setting on the mode dial on top of the camera, then camera can behave as you describe under the right circumstances.

I love to shoot outdoors, mainly because I love the outdoors.  Depending upon the location, many outdoor shots may contain large dark areas within the visible frame in the viewfinder.  The camera has different shooting modes, focus modes, and metering modes.  So, the camera will behave differently when you change settings, even in fully automatic Green [A] mode.

In Full Auto, the camera will use all available AF, auto focus points, which are the little squares in the viewfinder, to find something to focus on.  It will usually choose what winds up being the nearest thing to the camera.  Frequently, the closest thing to the camera when you're shooting outdoors may be darker than the background.  This is called "backlit" scenes.

EOS 6D2017_05_109126-HDR.jpg

The above shot is an example of what I am talking about.

If I were using a camera like yours, the camera may have focused on the steps, instead of the gazebo near the center of the frame.  It may have also tried to raise a built-in flash in a vain attempt to illuminate the steps with "fill flash".  I say vain attempt, because your onboard flash has a very short reach, less than 10 feet. 

As it turns out, I did not have a built-in flash, and the above shot is the result.  I used another technique to "light up" the stairs known as HDR photography.  But, that's a story for another day.

Again, there is nothing wrong with your camera.  It has different shooting modes, which you change with the dial on the top of the camera.  It has different light metering modes, which I very rarely change from the default "evaluative metering" setting.  It has different AF, auto focus, modes, too.  All of those settings are set automatically for you in Green [A] shooting mode.

If in doubt about anything, ask lots of questions.  There are folks around here who would be glad to answer anything you might want to know..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Waddizzle,

Sorry I haven't thanked you before for your comments, but I've been waiting over the weekend hoping that kvbarkley would report back.

In his abscence, I wonder if any other Rebel T6 owners would lower themselves and try the auto mode when nobody is looking!

A reminder that I'm asking if it's possible to take a picture in auto without the flash popping up as mine does it everytime.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I did not get a chance.

Note, though that I have a T6S, not a T6.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks and sorry to chase you up !

I'm in the UK and have a 1300D, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is the 760D. As for Canon, the fewer the number of digits, the better the camera. 8^)

VIP

@TightGit wrote:

Waddizzle,

Sorry I haven't thanked you before for your comments, but I've been waiting over the weekend hoping that kvbarkley would report back.

In his abscence, I wonder if any other Rebel T6 owners would lower themselves and try the auto mode when nobody is looking!

A reminder that I'm asking if it's possible to take a picture in auto without the flash popping up as mine does it everytime.

Thank you.

Yes, the settings on either side of the Green [A] behave like that.  You have to manually raise the flash, either by pressing the lighning bolt button on top of the camera near the Main Wheel, or by selecting a similar icon in the [Q], Quick Menu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, but for some reason, I'm still not getting an answer to my query.

It's probably my fault , for not being clear, so let's try once more.

This is what my new Canon 1300D does when the main dial is on the green "Auto" position:

The flash unit on the top pops up when I half press the button, and the flash fires when I take the picture.

This happens EVERY time I take a picture, yes EVERY time (sorry for the capitals), in fact it seems it's impossible to take a picture in Auto, without the flash firing.

Is this normal behaviour for the 1300D, or have I got a faulty one, please?

Esteemed Contributor

You are much more likely to get a direct answer if you call Canon.

You are looking for a small subset of people on these boards:

Those that have a T6.

Those that use green square mode.

Respected Contributor

@TightGit wrote:

This happens EVERY time I take a picture, yes EVERY time (sorry for the capitals), in fact it seems it's impossible to take a picture in Auto, without the flash firing.

Is this normal behaviour for the 1300D, or have I got a faulty one, please? 

You were not being very clear until this message. Return it.  It is not right that the flash fires everytime even when there's enough light and there is not a backlit situation.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr