cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6 Flash

TightGit
Contributor

Good afternoon.

I've just bought a Canon 1300D (I believe also known as Rebel T6) and, being a complete novice at photography, I'm using it in Auto Mode.

I'm finding that the flash pops up and fires, even in bright sunlight.

This seems all wrong to me but, as I said, I'm not an expert.

Is this correct, please, or have I got a faulty camera?

Many thanks for any advice.

Peter.

31 REPLIES 31

@TightGit wrote:

Good afternoon.

I've just bought a Canon 1300D (I believe also known as Rebel T6) and, being a complete novice at photography, I'm using it in Auto Mode.

I'm finding that the flash pops up and fires, even in bright sunlight.

This seems all wrong to me but, as I said, I'm not an expert.

Is this correct, please, or have I got a faulty camera?

Many thanks for any advice.

Peter.

Maybe it thinks you need fill flash. (Maybe you do!)

If you switch the mode dial from Auto to "P", it should stop doing that.

For a self-confessed newbie, reading the manual is always a good option.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

@TightGit wrote:

Good afternoon.

... I'm using it in Auto Mode.  I'm finding that the flash pops up and fires, even in bright sunlight.  This seems all wrong to me but, as I said, I'm not an expert.  Is this correct, please, or have I got a faulty camera?.

I'm a bit surprised that the camera knows how to do that...if your pictures look great with the flash firing, I think you should be glad the camera has the smarts.  I never shoot full auto so I simply do not know that the camera can do that.

The use of flash in bright sunlight is not a bad thing if it is used properly - mainly to fill in the shadows and to light up the subject placed against the sun which, without the flash, will be too dark because of the brighter background.  I almost always mount an external flash when shooting portraits outdoors for this purpose.

Here is an example - if done properly, you shouldn't be able to tell that a flash was used...

5DMarkIII, 85mm f/1.2L II, f/1.8, 1/320, ISO 100, flash fired.

33093087244_e555b47525_c.jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks to both for your very quick replies, but I really need an answer from a complete novice like myself who only uses auto mode.

I find it difficult to believe that the camera thinks flash is required when taking a picture of a landscape in bright sunlight.

Unless it's faulty...

@TightGit wrote:

Thanks to both for your very quick replies, but I really need an answer from a complete novice like myself who only uses auto mode.

I find it difficult to believe that the camera thinks flash is required when taking a picture of a landscape in bright sunlight.

Unless it's faulty...

Flash shouldn't be used for a landscape picture.  Can you post a picture where the flash had fired?  It might be confused to think that it needed flash.  I'll check the manual to see if it's smart enough to fire the flash. I think it does.  This is one of the reasons I don't use full auto because I don't have any control of the situation.  You should learn to get off full auto and use Av or Tv mode (semi-automatic).  

I'm emphasizing that using flash for fill is an art many accomplished photographers use daily.  This should not be strange.

Sorry, I'm a pensioner and my computer knowledge is as limited as my photographic knowledge, so I don't know how to post pictures.

Having just bought the camera for my next holiday, I've taken a few test shots out in my nearest park.

They are "normal" pictures of fields with trees, all in bright sunshine and nothing closer than 100 yards.

Each time the flash unit pops up when I half press the shutter button and the flash fires when I take the picture.

Quite apart from looking silly to anyone nearby, this is obviously wasting battery charge.

I've read the manual (and also the "1300D for Idiots" book) and both say the flash should only pop up if the camera thinks it needs it.

Fair enough, but in bright sunlight?

@diverhank wrote:

... I'll check the manual to see if it's smart enough to fire the flash. I think it does. .

I have found the answer, the Canon camera does have the smarts to do fill flash in full automatic mode.  In your case, it might get confused but there should be no harm done with the flash except for a little bit of power use.

Here is a Canon link for the use of fill flash that will help explain this thing...

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/fill_flash_use_EOS_article.shtml

Many thanks for all your responses, but nobody seems to be answering my question.

Yes, I realise this is a quality camera and that i should be learning how to use it properly, but at my advanced years my eyesight and mental capacity will not allow me to use it to its full potential.

I just want to point and shoot!

I bought it as a replacement for my Canon 5000, which has given faultless service around the world for the last 20 years.

(It was delivered with the dial on Auto and that's where it's stayed for two decades!)

I chose the 1300D because it seemed to be the digital equivalent and I hope to use it for holiday snaps, but only in Auto.

So, I ask again:

Should the flash fire every time I use it, even in bright sunlight, or have I got a faulty unit?

Thank you.

It is hard for us to answer, since most of us don't use Auto mode. I can try with my T6S tonight.

ISTR that the flash popped up way more than I wanted in Auto mode, so I switched to P.

Thank you so much, I'll await your report.

Since it's only 10 days since purchase, I really need to know if I should return it.

BTW be careful what you wear on your head when you do the test.

Everytime I take a photo, the flash unit pops up and knocks my cap off !

Announcements