cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i won't read of format card

JessieLilley
Contributor

I have read other posts on this subject. They are now years old. I wondered if anything new has come up as the answer to my problem has not been found.

I have used the same card since I bought this thing in December of 2015. Never had a problem.

Now our of the blue, the card can't be read and it will not format. I have tried other cards. They too cannot be read or formatted.

I had a shoot today, at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and wound up having to use my cell phone. Not quite the same thing, you'll agree.

So, is the bottom line that I must send this back for repair? Will it matter as others have done so and the same problem occurs again in a few months?

Does anyone here have any suggestions or should I just get it fixed, sell the sucker and go back to Minolta?

Thanks for your input.

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does the camera switch on?

Does it report that there is no card installed?

If you look in the card slot does it look any of the pins on the lens side of the slot are bent?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it turns on.

Yes, I get the message:

"Card cannot be accessed

Reinsert/change the card or

format card with camera."

So I try to format the card and it says:

"Cannot format

Change card"

There is nothing in the slots. Today is the first time I ever removed the card. There is nothing in there. I have looked, tapped and shook, everything is clean.

I'll just throw thoughts out; I don't know for sure what your problem is.

1. remove battery, switch camera on, wait a few minutes, switch off, reinstall battery. Try again.

\

2. If no success give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sadly, nothing has worked. Canon has infome me that it IS a problem with the camera and must be sent in for repair. So I've sent it in. I wish they would correct the problem so we don't find ourselves without a camera 6 months into the putchase!

@JessieLilley wrote:

Sadly, nothing has worked. Canon has infome me that it IS a problem with the camera and must be sent in for repair. So I've sent it in. I wish they would correct the problem so we don't find ourselves without a camera 6 months into the putchase!

Look at the good side: If you're going to have a problem that requires repair, it's better to have it before the warranty expires.

And to your point about being without a camera: Yes, it's inconvenient. But if you've become serious enough about photography to try to debug problems yourself, or even to read and contribute to this forum, you probably have at least one previous camera at your disposal. The more you get into photography, the more cameras you'll probably have. So having to send a camera in for repair occasionally shouldn't be a show-stopper.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No. Just a pain. When you pay over a grand for a camera, you kinda expect the thing to work. That's all.

Just out of curiousity, what brand and capacity size is the card?  Is it a micro-card that requires an adapter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The card is 8 mg FujiFil. According to Canon, the card itself is fine, as is the 16 MG PNY. The PNY is a back up. The FujiFilm has worked fine since I purchased the camera.

It's not the card. It's the camera. Unless Canon is lying to me, which I doubt.

I have never used either brand for SD cards.  However, if the thumb drive performance is any indication, PNY makes terribly unreliable thumb drives.  Just make sure that your cards are Class 10, full size cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements