cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i is connected to the PC but cannot access the files.

Dzsaffar
Apprentice

The Device Manager sees the camera as "Canon Digital Camera (COM5)" but I can't see the camera's folder in the file browser and have no way of accessing the files. The firmware is 1.1.3. I tried a shutter counter program on the camera to extract that data and thats when the problems with the connection started.

6 REPLIES 6

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Sounds like the Shuttercount program has become the default program for the camera connection. You could try uninstalling the shuttercount program and that might reset things. if not you may have to resort to doing a restore to a point before you installed the shuttercount software. (This is for windows, not sure if Mac can do this.)

Tried removing that software didn't do anything. Is there no other way of resetting it other than a complete system restoration you say?

@Dzsaffar,

Unless disabled, windows automatically creates restore points when software or updates are installed.

Reverting to a previous restore point does not mean "complete system restoration"  All of your files and programs will remain intact, it just takes you back to a point in time before the shuttercount software was installed.

When you start system restore, it will display the most recent points you can revert your system to.  There is is also a check box that allows you to go back farther if needed.  Retention is automatically managed by the OS, unless you've disabled, deleted or changed settings.

There is nothing to be worried about.  Its a simple process. 

SR1.png

SR2.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Unfortunately I don't have any save points

So you have System Protection disabled then?

What version of windows are you using?

Tell us what version of the EOS Utility opens when you connect your camera, 2 or 3?

Maybe opening 2 will help.

C:\ Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU2 or EU3 folders

Try opening the EOS Utility2 and see if this helps.  If not try 3.

Just click the .exe to start the application

I'll plug mine in later today and see if its using a COM port for USB connectivity.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So, have you tried taking out the card and inserting it into the PC directly? I must admit that I never connect my cameras to my PC to download files - it's relatively slow and it drains the camera battery. I find it very quick to remove the SD card and plug it in, then the card should be seen ok

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements