cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i & shooting night scenes with SCN seting - pop-up internal flash

scottjg24
Contributor

Last Monday, I attempted to shoot night / low-light scenes with my T5i using the SCN mode.  Every time I attempt to take the shot, the internal flash pops up and fires, which ruins the shot.  On one of my smaller memory cards (8-16GB), I used my Manfrotto monopod with my Sigma 10-20mm wide-angled lens with variable aparture.  I didn't have my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens with me, which I'll try next week to see if it's just my wide-angled lens.

I checked the message boards via Canon Community - EOS Rebel, and the reply posts said that the scene mode (SCN) was the best for shooting night/low-light photography with either tripod or monopod.  BTW, my Manfrotto monopod has 4 legs at the bottom of it.

Any suggestions??

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm guessing you are using Night Portrait selection, which will fire the flash to expose a person while setting shutter speed to expose background.

Shift to Handheld Night Scene.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

THANKS John.  I'll try that next Monday when I get back to school (Indiana-Purdue University Fort Wayne Campus - IPFW).

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Better yet go to full Manual.  You have a LCD screen on the back of the camera.  Even if you don't know what settings to use, you can see if it worked.

Give me a little more info of what you are wanting to shoot and I can give you an approx starting point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
scottjg24 - Not related to your original question, and you may have already found this out - wide angle lenses, particularly with a lens hood, can project a shadow when using the built in flash.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements