cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i & How do I shoot in grayscale/black & White right from my T6i

scottjg24
Contributor

I've had my T5i since September 2015 and I would like to know how do I shoot in grayscale/black & white straight from the camera insteaad of later going into Photoshop to change from color to grayscale/black & white.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Crista
Whiz

Hi scottjg24!

The EOS Rebel T5i is able to shoot in monochrome. You can do so by following these directions: 

capture12.JPG

Capture14.JPG

We hope this helps you out! 

I have rebel T6 and this worked! Thanks soooo much! I wish I would have known this earlier! LOL 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Also, be sure to save your photos as JPEG format.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Or, shoot RAW where it make no difference.

I am curious as to why?  RAW and PS offer much more creative control.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

Or, shoot RAW where it make no difference.

I am curious as to why?  RAW and PS offer much more creative control.

And in DPP, B&W is a picture style, so an edited RAW file can maintain a color version of the image and a B&W version simultaneously. It wouldn't surprise me if Lightroom had a similar capability.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

There is a new version. Smiley Happy   Digital Photo Professional 4.5.20 for Windows

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

There is a new version. Smiley Happy   Digital Photo Professional 4.5.20 for Windows

Yeah, I know; I've been using it since it became available on the U.S. site (a week or two). As far as I can see, it still treats the monochrome picture style the same way as previous releases did.

Bob

scottjg24
Contributor

Okay.  I adjusted the settings to monochrome with my camera set in RAW mode, which is required for my photography classes @ IPFW (Indiana-Purdue University at Fort Wayne, IN) and when I downloaded the images from my memory card to Adobe Bridge CC and then Adobe Photoshop CC 2016, they came out in color.  Would they come out in monochrome if I used the JPEG setting?

I double-checked everything and I am just baffled........

@scottjg24 wrote:

@Okay.  I adjusted the settings to monochrome with my camera set in RAW mode, which is required for my photography classes @ IPFW (Indiana-Purdue University at Fort Wayne, IN) and when I downloaded the images from my memory card to Adobe Bridge CC and then Adobe Photoshop CC 2016, they came out in color.  Would they come out in monochrome if I used the JPEG setting?

Probably. Remember that the whole point of RAW mode is that it retains all the information the camera saw, including color. A RAW file, as it comes out of the camera, will also retain various choices that you made, including the default picture style to be used to display it. But how that information (usually referred to as "metadata") is used depends on the editor. If you had opened the file in Digital Photo Professional (Canon's editor), I think it would have displayed in B&W, because it understands that you selected "monochrome" as the default picture style. (It would also let you select another picture style if you decided you wanted to see the picture in color.) A third-party editor like PS or LR isn't bound to obey that convention, or even to notice that a default picture style had been selected. But if you tell LR or PS to display or print in monochrome, it will.

But when you tell the camera to produce a JPEG, it applies the default picture style (and any other choices you made) as part of the process and then throws the metadata away. So if monochrome is what you asked for, that's what you get; and you no longer have the option of restoring the colors.

EDIT:  I guess I should have added that when you use an editor to convert a RAW image to JPEG, the metadata isn't retained in the resulting JPEG file. So once again, if you tell the editor to produce a monochrome JPEG, that's what you get and you can't change it later. But that doesn't matter, as long as you save the RAW file.

Bob
Announcements