cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i: How do I go about connecting my external flash unit onto my T5i?

scottjg24
Contributor

Okay, I know that to attach an external flash unit to my T5i is to physically connect the flash unit to the top hotshoe on my T5i.  That is too obvious.  BUT, how do I go about getting my T5i to RECOGNIZE and utilize the external flash unit?  I've looked through my menu screens but they are for the INTERNAL pop-up flash, which is built-in.

Thanks for the speedy response to my previous questions on my T5i.

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Not sure I understand your question. What flash do you have? Have you mounted it in the hot shoe but it isn't working OR are you trying to use it off camera?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To use off camera flash, you need an ETTL cable or a wifi attachment, or trigger.  Either is readily available at camera stores like B&H or Adorama, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Which flash (model) are you using?  Is it a Canon flash?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Vivitar DF-383 for Canon cameras.  I will be upgrading to a Canon external flash unit sometime next year. 

I never used that flash but it may not be an ETTL capable unit.  If not that will make it more difficult.

EB

It should be ETTL.

Check the specs.

EB

@scottjg24 wrote:

Okay, I know that to attach an external flash unit to my T5i is to physically connect the flash unit to the top hotshoe on my T5i.  That is too obvious.  BUT, how do I go about getting my T5i to RECOGNIZE and utilize the external flash unit?  I've looked through my menu screens but they are for the INTERNAL pop-up flash, which is built-in.

Thanks for the speedy response to my previous questions on my T5i.

I've not used a T5i, but I believe that generally those menu screens come up only when the external flash unit is mounted on the camera and turned on. Also, you may have to use a menu on the unit itself to make it tell the camera that it's present and functioning as a Canon-compatible flash. In any case, your T5i manual should include a chapter on using external flash. (On some recent models, the printed manual is abbreviated. So if you don't find such a chapter, look for a more complete manual on the Canon Web site or on the CD that should have come with the camera.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements