cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5 question/problem

Roofer1976
Apprentice

I am a beginner, and having trouble figuring something out. In manual mode, my viewfinder screen is completely black unless I open the flash. As soon as I open the flash, the viewfinder works. If I close the flash, back to black. If I take a picture with the flash closed, it literally takes a black picture. If I take a picture with the flash open, it will always use the flash. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong, that is forcing me to use the flash.

6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Roofer1976 wrote:

I am a beginner, and having trouble figuring something out. In manual mode, my viewfinder screen is completely black unless I open the flash. As soon as I open the flash, the viewfinder works. If I close the flash, back to black. If I take a picture with the flash closed, it literally takes a black picture. If I take a picture with the flash open, it will always use the flash. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong, that is forcing me to use the flash.

Are you in LiveView looking at the back of the camera?

Also, why are you trying to use Manual mode?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your exposure settings a WAY off fthe mark.  Press the "Q" button, and make note of the Exposre, Aperture, and ISO.  Switch to "P" mode, take a picture, and press "Q" again, and compare with the exposure settings that you noted earlier.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How are you getting to "manual" mode? Are you activating depth of field preview?

If the viewfinder works in P mode it will work in M mode.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Reset the camera.  Clear all settings in the Menu under Tools.

Set the T5 to P mode on the dial. Set the AF/MF switch to AF. Set the ISO to Auto. Set the WB to Auto.

On a nice sunny day, go outside and focus on a subject about 25 or 30 feet away. Take the shot.  If it works as expected, there is nothing wrong with the T5 and you had a setting incorrectly set.

Manual mode takes some getting used to.  It requires you to have everything set properly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Reset the camera.  Clear all settings in the Menu under Tools.

Set the T5 to P mode on the dial. Set the AF/MF switch to AF. Set the ISO to Auto. Set the WB to Auto.

On a nice sunny day, go outside and focus on a subject about 25 or 30 feet away. Take the shot.  If it works as expected, there is nothing wrong with the T5 and you had a setting incorrectly set.

Manual mode takes some getting used to.  It requires you to have everything set properly.

But the viewfinder should work just fine! The pictures might be messed up though. 8^)

This way we, he/she, will know for sure if the camera is faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements