cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5 File duplicate numbering on SD card question

HLily
Contributor

Hello! I am hoping someonw might have an answer to this question. We have an EOS Rebel T5 which we have used for several years. The file names of photos taken and stored on the SD card were in the 4500.jpg range. After they are downloaded, the pictures are erased from the SD card, but the numbering continues in sequence for subsequent pictures.

Yesterday, my husband noticed that there were several folders on the SD card, Canon 100, 101, 102 etc. The newest pictures were in one of them. We downloaded them, deleted them from the card and deleted the folders.

Today, the newest pictures were now named starting with 0001, 0002, 0003, etc - back to the beginning. The problem is that in the location we are downloading to on the computer, there are other pictures with the same number that were taken long ago - so the new ones can't be added to that folder. I understand that they can be downloaded to a differnet location, but is there a way to set the numbering system back to where it was before the folders were deleted. Can it be set to start numbering at say 4800 and continue from there so that we don't have any duplicate numbers?

I hope that is clear - it is a bit of a convoluted problem, so I'll be happy to give additional infomation.

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Lily.

The file numbers can only go from xxxx0001 to xxxx9999. Once they hit 9999 the next number will be 0001 and the camera creates a new folder.

It is not possible for me to say exactly what happened; additional folders might have been created automatically or maybe inadvertenly by a user.

Page 182 and onward explains the file numbering and folder numbering protociols.

I would suggest you just download everything now to a different folder.

Then format the card in the camera. Take a random photo.

Insert the card in the computer and change the four digit part of the file number to 4800 (or whatever yiou want) reinsert in the camera and take a photo. The photo should be numbered N+1.

Then you can use a photo software to renumber the images you just downloaded how you want. You could even change the prefix - say you change it to LIL0. Then when you reach 9999 start renumbering new file LIL10001, 0002 etc.

Hope i"m making sense.  If not, come back.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Lily.

The file numbers can only go from xxxx0001 to xxxx9999. Once they hit 9999 the next number will be 0001 and the camera creates a new folder.

It is not possible for me to say exactly what happened; additional folders might have been created automatically or maybe inadvertenly by a user.

Page 182 and onward explains the file numbering and folder numbering protociols.

I would suggest you just download everything now to a different folder.

Then format the card in the camera. Take a random photo.

Insert the card in the computer and change the four digit part of the file number to 4800 (or whatever yiou want) reinsert in the camera and take a photo. The photo should be numbered N+1.

Then you can use a photo software to renumber the images you just downloaded how you want. You could even change the prefix - say you change it to LIL0. Then when you reach 9999 start renumbering new file LIL10001, 0002 etc.

Hope i"m making sense.  If not, come back.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John! That sounds like it will work! I'll give it a try and check back with you later on! Much appreciated!!

Smiley Very Happy

Hi John!

That worked just as you said - thanks so much! The camera is back to the right numbering after changing one number to be the next in sequence! It is also set for "Continuous" for the numbering system so it should keep going till it gets to 9999.

I'm not clear on how the extra folders got created or numbered - for a long while there was just a 100 folder that the camera used and we cleared each time we donwloaded picures. But it suddenly had a 101 and a 102 folder, which my husband deleted, and I think that somehow caused the issue with the photo numbering starting back to 0001.

But your suggestion worked, and as long as the numbering continues to be in sequence, I am not that concerned about the folder names.

I wil read up on it in the manual as well.

Thanks again for the help! I knew that someone here would know how to correct it!

Lily

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Glad to help.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements