cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3i Flash Problem?

Vardermir
Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

I recently was given a T3i as a birthday gift.  I've been playing around with the camera, and have noticed a weird issue with the built in flash.  It will fire as expected when using the viewfinder, but when using the LCD live or quick modes, popping up the flash will briefly flash a busy screen, and attempting to take a picture will result in the flash not firing, and the entire camera becoming unresponsive.  It will not respond to any buttons except the playback and menu buttons, and it will not appear to turn on or off by flipping the power switch.  These symptoms continue until I remove and replace the battery.  Is this how the camera is supposed to operate?  I did read that you can't use the live modes with an external flash, but does this also include the bulit in one?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the Canon Support web site to see if you have the camera's latest firmware.  It should not be locking up in the manner that you have described. 

I have never used quick mode on my T5.  And, I rarely use the built-in flash, simply because it isn't very good beyond a 5-10 feet, and lenses longer than the typical kit lens, 18-55mm, tend to cast a shadow into the image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the Canon Support web site to see if you have the camera's latest firmware.  It should not be locking up in the manner that you have described. 

I have never used quick mode on my T5.  And, I rarely use the built-in flash, simply because it isn't very good beyond a 5-10 feet, and lenses longer than the typical kit lens, 18-55mm, tend to cast a shadow into the image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements