cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3i Downloading Pics Wirelessly

richiebricker
Apprentice

I have 0 files of 0 size after many tries downloading the utility and the utility update.  I bought a used T3i and thought i 

would be a proud canon owner but not so much now especially after doing a ton of research reading and watching 

reviews,  most of em say you can even download pics wirelessly to your phone and computer. Ha ha, the jokes on

Me. anyway can anybody help me with this "utility" problem?  

Thanks, Richie

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are these videos or stills?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

welcome to the forum.

I believe the T3i could only transfer images wirelessly if an Eye-fi SD card was installed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@richiebricker wrote:

I have 0 files of 0 size after many tries downloading the utility and the utility update.  I bought a used T3i and thought i 

would be a proud canon owner but not so much now especially after doing a ton of research reading and watching 

reviews,  most of em say you can even download pics wirelessly to your phone and computer. Ha ha, the jokes on

Me. anyway can anybody help me with this "utility" problem?  

Thanks, Richie

Hi Richie and welcome to the forum:

I hate to break it to you, but your "ton of research reading and watching reviews" missed the Canon Manual that clearly states on P265  that wireless connectivity is via Eye-Fi, requiring a suitable card to be in the SD slot instead of a conventional SD card and that the use of this card is dependent on the manufacturer, not Canon.

Eye-fi.jpg

See also references to Eye-Fi from DPREVIEWImaging Resource, B&H review that ALL mention the requirement to use  Eye-Fi cards.  You did not mention why you specifically need or want WiFi.  Is it a control issue or do you simply want to download the images to a device?

So you have several choices:  if you HAVE to use wireless, then get an Eye-Fi card, IF they are available second hand (but be aware of local requirements on their use); alternatively plug the camera into a computer using the USB connection, or (my preference) removed the SD card and plut THAT into a computer or other device.

That is not Canon's fault, and the camera is otherwise an excellent unit for its time - so you can still be a proud camera owner if you approach this constructively.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

EyeFi doesn't exist anymore.

If you need to transfer your media wirelessly, your best bet is to get a camera with WiFi built-in. Our first camera that does that is the Rebel T6i. 

Please note - the Rebel T6, T7, and SL1 do NOT have WiFi. 

Eye-Fi went out of business a number of years ago. 

Toshiba introduced a WiFi enabled SD card with Eye-Fi emulation. This is important, because the Eye-Fi mode intercepts the auto power off timer in the camera and suspends power off until file transmission completes. These cards seem hard to find and can be ridiculously expensive. Amazon lists it for $169. 

There is a card called ez-Share. It doesn't discuss Eye-Fi capability. That means manual control of auto power off settings to ensure camera doesn't power down during transmission. 

(Edit - Stephen posted while I was typing. Good advice from him. )

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements