cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3 Accessories

Zyclone
Contributor

Greetings everyone!

I am new to using a DSLR and currently have an out of the box EOS Rebel T3 kit with the standard 18-55mm lens. I was browsing amazon for a few accessories like lens filters, a lens hood and a remote. I found a few options on amazon but I am not sure if they are good. Is it recommended to buy Canon brand accessories only? Or will an off brand do just as good?

I live in sunny San Diego, CA and I like to take photos of family, friends when we are out and about around town, or while I am on a hike taking pictures of people with landscapes in the background.

Here are the link to the items I am looking at, I would appreciate it if I could get some feed back on these products:

Remote

http://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Coworker-Wireless-Powershot-Replaces/dp/B002KDXQKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

Remote

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Shutter-Release-Control/dp/B004WB8EYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

I already have a tripod and thought a remote would be a better way of taking a group photo instead of me setting a 10 second timer and running into the frame.

Lens Filters

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Filter-Accessory-CANON-Cameras/dp/B0053V5MF4/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

I believe these are supposed to reduce the light/sunshine that shows up in photos sometimes. But I am new to this, so I am not exactly sure which color lens will help me the most and in what situations. Also, this looks like some cheap made in China stuff, hence the low price. Is it good enough or a waste of money

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=rebel%20t3%20le...

When I search for "Rebel T3 lens filter kit" the results show "58mm len filter" but my lens is 18-55... is it compatible? I am confused.

All feedback is welcome! I am open to any suggestions and product recomendations.

Thank you. 

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I generally buy and use only Canon branded gears.  But I am depending on them being there each and every time I need them as my job depends on them.  That said there are some very good 3rd party gears.

I have the LC-5 and the little LC-6.  Both work very well. But the RC-6 can be fooled in bright Sun light and it is pretty much line of sight.  The LC-5 wireless is pretty expensive but works great.  For you, the RC-6 will most likely do most of what you want.   The LC-5 wireless remote is used mostly for things like shooting birds or other animals that are hard to get close to.  Or like, me a remote camera at a wedding.

I can not vouch for the one on Amazon. But some of the 3rd party remotes are pretty flakey.

With the exception of a ND or a polarizer filter, filters are a thing of the past.  In the good ole film days!

In bright Sun light a ND can be useful.  It cuts down the light.  And ploarizers are pretty nice for certain applications.  It must be a circular type. You need to buy a filter for a certain need and not just get a bunch of them.

On your lens 18 to 55mm is the focal length.  58mm is the filter thread size.

Something that will make a bigger impact on your pictures is a post editing program.  Like Photoshop Elements.  Plus there are even some free ones on the net.  Post is where it's at.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, almost forgot, get the lens hood.  Nearly a mandatory accessory. 

BTW, there is a reason the RC-5 is $500 buck s and the Amazon one is $25.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, there is a reason the RC-5 is $500 buck s and the Amazon one is $25.

B&H says the RC-5 is discontinued. They're selling its replacement(?), the RC-6 for $20.

I'm pretty sure I have an RC-5. I'm very sure I didn't pay $500 for it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

Whoops, I meant LC-5 not RC-5.  And there is no compatison between the RC-5 or ,6 for that matter, and the LC-5.

EB

I ended up purchasing these lenses, but they do not seem to fit my 18-55mm kit lens. Do I need some sort of adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Definition%C2%B2-Professional-Piece-Filter/dp/B00NVPK84Y/ref=cm_cd_al_q...

@Zyclone wrote:

I ended up purchasing these lenses, but they do not seem to fit my 18-55mm kit lens. Do I need some sort of adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Definition%C2%B2-Professional-Piece-Filter/dp/B00NVPK84Y/ref=cm_cd_al_q...

I assume you mean to say that you bought those filters.

The bad news is that you didn't notice that they are 55mm filters, and few zoom lenses take a filter that small. No adapter will help.

The good news is that filters that cheap would have done more harm than good.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry, I meant to say filters not lenses.
Can you make a recommendation for filters or a reputable brand for me to keep an eye on? As I mentioned earlier I have a Rebel T3 18-55mm kit lense.

After reading about the polarizing filter, natural density filter I think they might be a good addition for my kit to use when I take my camera on hikes or take pictures of people in an outside setting.

What you are looking at isn't all that expensive but I would rather buy some other accesory besides a, or that, filter set.  IMHO, of course, everybody is different.  The only one in that set that is even remotely a good deal is the polarizer.  The others are pretty useless for most situations.

The best thing you can buy that will make the biggest impact on your photos is a posy editing program.  For instance Photoshop Elements but there are even some free ones that are pretty good, too.

EB

I think your lens requires 58mm size filters not 55mm.  You need to return them.

Filters are usually not called "lenses" although they look like it.  The reason the ad refers to to one "filter" as a lens is because it magnifies the image.  In reality, it is still a filter.

EB
Announcements