cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T2i - Upgrade Question

scnichols
Apprentice

I have a Rebel T2i that still works well enough, but I have been looking into upgrading to a newer body.  Either staying with a Rebel or maybe moving up to a 80D.  I would want to keep lens compatiblity.

Really what I wanted to understand, is what has changed in terms of the camera itself.  It is not clear to me what newer systems provide other than larger display screens and wifi compatibility.

When I look at spec comparisons, they do not seem significantly different.

Thanks,

Scott

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The main thing that the new cameras have is dual Pixel AF where they have the same kind of AF sensors on the main sensor as the AF chip in all DSLR's. This means that Live View and video focusing are done with phase detect AF just like through-the-viewfinder, for fast and accurate AF compared to the contrast-detect AF used in cameras like yours.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Any newer technology is going to be better. Take just the digic processor. That alone is worth it.
Now you are coming from a T2i to a T7i. Yes it is a good idea. If you want out of the Rebel line do consider the 80D. Much better build along with newer tech.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@scnichols wrote:

I have a Rebel T2i that still works well enough, but I have been looking into upgrading to a newer body.  Either staying with a Rebel or maybe moving up to a 80D.  I would want to keep lens compatiblity.

Really what I wanted to understand, is what has changed in terms of the camera itself.  It is not clear to me what newer systems provide other than larger display screens and wifi compatibility.

When I look at spec comparisons, they do not seem significantly different.

Thanks,

Scott

The T2i was built like a baby tank.  I think the 80D is great camera upgrade.  I do not believe the body is as rugged and sealed quite as well as the T2i.  If you want that level of build quality, you might look at the 7D2.  But still, the 80D is a well built camera, and a better choice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements