cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel Sl1 lots of noise at 100 ISO??

Bricheez
Apprentice
I recently got my rebel for Christmas and have been using it in a basic 101 class. My teacher and I have noticed that in my photos with low ISO, there is as much noise as with and ISO 1600. The lens and everything has been cleaned, I've done bracketing shots and all are the same, I'm not sure if it's an internal issue or not. Anyone having similar issue or can offer advice
15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Can you post a sample at each ISO.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
Can you post a sample at each ISO.

I agree we would need to see some samples.

Somethings to think about:

Are you sure you aren't confusing out of focus areas with noise?

Is this straight out of the camera or after post processing?

Exessive sharpening in post processing can create noise.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is mandatory for anyone here to analyse your problem.

"Can you post a sample at each ISO."

"I recently got my rebel for Christmas ..." "The lens and everything has been cleaned, ..."

So each was new on Christmas?  Your 'teacher' and you thought each was already dirty or contaminated?  My first thought is you need a different teacher.  But samples are what is required.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

A crop sensor should not have any noise worth mentioning at ISO 100.  If you are pushing underexposed shots that makes noise but you say you bracketed the shots and they look the same at + and - exposures.  Unless something is dreadfully wrong with the camera it is hard to believe that what you are seeing is noise.

Are you maybe shooting in some extreme "effects" setting, with the camera pushing the saturation or something in making the JPG's? Or heavy amounts of lighting optimizer applied?  Maybe try resetting all your settings to default in the menu tab that allows you to do that.  Maybe in the process of exploring all the camera settings somehow something odd got dialed in.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Bricheez
Apprentice

Here are some examples.

The first photo is ISO 100 and the second is ISO 1600.

These were shot with my 18-55mm zoom stock lens that came with the camera kit. At first I thought the issue was just this lens but it has happened with my brand new 50mm as well.

Cleaning before and after 2.3.jpgCleaning before and after 2.4.jpg

File size is too small to see anything meaningful. Can you upload full size images?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Cleaning before and after 2.3.jpgCleaning before and after 2.4.jpg

took camera in today to get it looked at an there is nothing wrong with the sensor or the lens but they think it could potentially be the chip. Please let me know what you think

There is definitely something in the sky. Are you sure someone didn't try to clean the sensor with liquid cleaner? It looks like there is something on the AA filter. Its not digital noise.

I would send the camera to an official canon service center for cleaning and check.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The res is so low I can't say but I really don't think anything is wrong. I d/l the two images and really don't see what you are.

But this will set your mind to rest ....

"I would send the camera to an official canon service center for cleaning and check."

They can tell you for sure.  You may just be at all the lens you have can do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements