cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel SL2 won't turn on after a month and a half

adgalati
Apprentice

I have been using this camera for shooting videos and doing live streams primarily. I was using an ac adapter for the live streams so I could have constant power for around 3-4 hours at a time and connected to my pc via hdmi. I was doing this several times a week for about a month and a half with no issue. The last couple of times I used it for this purpose with the adapter, I remember having trouble getting the red indicator light to turn on, after inserting the ac battery pack and plugging it into the wall. I would have to open up the battery/sd door and shut it again a few extra times before the red light would blink and let me power on the camera. Then one day I go to set it up and I can't get it on at all. I've tried the original battery it came with (fully charged) and nothing. Tried taking off the lens, battery and sd card out and reassembling to no avail. I've read about micro switch issues on other models with the battery door not fully closing the switch letting the camera know the door is shut. I played around with that by trying to force the switch into position with a tac while the door was open with the battery in and nothing happened. Now the AC adapter I purchased is not the official canon one, so I am worried it fried some circuits/contacts in the camera rendering it unusable without a professional repair. However, I read the reviews for this cheaper adapter before I bought it and didn't see anyone complaining about this issue. It was even specifically recommended in a youtube video about live streaming with the SL2 which is why I went with it. Is it possible something else is wrong? Something I could try that I haven't already to get the camera on without having to send it in? (Also tried plugging in the usb cable to my computer and nothing)

2 REPLIES 2

Ray-uk
Whiz

@adgalati wrote:

I have been using this camera for shooting videos and doing live streams primarily. I was using an ac adapter for the live streams so I could have constant power for around 3-4 hours at a time and connected to my pc via hdmi. I was doing this several times a week for about a month and a half with no issue.

Although you could have a mechanical problem with the microswitch, you could also have an electronics problem with the power regulator board if your 3rd party adaptor isn't quite up to spec.

However the part of your post quoted above could well be a clue. This is a still photography camera camera with some limited video functions, it is not designed for long term streaming and this sort of use is very likely to cause problems eventually.

I see your point. I guess that's just poor decision making on my part. thanks for the advice!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements