cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel SL1 is stuck and does not even turn OFF

jdp
Apprentice

Hi,

My SL1 appears to be stuck in some kind of a mode and even the mode switch (ON, OFF, VIDEO) has no effect. I have tried to remove the battery for days at a time, and put the battery back in, the camera is still stuck in the same mode. If any of you have any idea on what is going on, please comment. Appreciate any help!

Screen that appears as soon as I put the battery in (does not matter even if i am in OFF mode):

screen-when-camera-is-in-off-mode.JPG

Stays at this screen after few seconds of inactivity:

screen-after-few-seconds-of-inactivity.JPG

OFF switch has no impact:

off-switch.JPG

-DJ

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What happens if you put a memory card into the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jdp
Apprentice
There is no change in condition even when the memory card is in the camera. I have tried taking out both the camera and the memory card for days and then put them back together, with no change in condition.

Also, I remember now that the viewfinder is for ever disabled, irrespective of the memory card or the on/off switch state.

Looks like you are stuck in LiveView if you can't see through viewfiner. Mirror is stuck up. I'm guessing service is required.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It sounds like your power switch is busted, and is internally stuck in the shoot video position.  I think you need a repair shop, and leave the battery out of it. 

Does the power switch still "click" into the different positions?  That's weird.  When switches fail, it is usually because of a mechanical failure that adversely affects the electrical connections.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was guessing if it could be the switch too, but mechanically (still "clicks") it feels just the way it feels when it was working. I couldnt tell in anyway that the switch was the culprit or not. Ofcourse, nothing worked in either of the switch positions. I guess this needs to go to the service - I just dont feel safe my camera doing two rounds of shipping 😞

Bubble wrap is your friend. Wrap it well and you will have no problems. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

littlehannahess
Apprentice

I have just had the exact same problem with my canon 800d/t7i
It was stuck on in video mode and it wouldnt turn off or go into photo mode even when turning the switch (the switch still clicked) i had removed the battery and sd card and let the batteryy drain, i charged the battery for a few mins and then put it back in the camera. the camera still had the same problem. wouldnt turn off and stuck in video mode. so i left it to one side for a little while. i heard the camera click (the sound it makes when it switches from live view to viewfinder) i didnt touch it i just left it alone and it made the click noise again, that was when the camera had actually turned off. so i turned it on and the camera settings had been reset. it turns off and on as normal as it should now.

I just left it on for a while and now it works. dont know how. 

Lucky you littlehannahess! Glad it worked out for you this way. If it happens to me ever again, I am definitely going to try your procedure 🙂

In any case, I ended up taking it to a camera repair shop, I think they replaced the switch assembly...costed around $150, and it has been working fine since then.

littlehannahess
Apprentice
Aww glad you got it fixed in the end 🙂 it’s a pain when things go wrong and you can’t fix it yourself 😞 glad it’s working now for you 😞
Announcements