cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel EOS T7i | Webcam image no longer sharp

execleader
Apprentice

I'm currently using the above model with the Canon Webcam Utility software.

It's been working great until late last week when I notice the image on the panel (back of camera) is clear and sharp, but the image being shown in Zoom/Teams is soft around the edges.That image in the background is an actual picture that is a sky that is deep blue. You can see how washed out it is.

Ideas for troubleshooting would be appreciated!

soft edges.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your sample image is too small to really see what you are talking about.  However, the background seems to be a significant distance from the camera compared to the person in the middle of the frame.  This is a recipe for background blur caused by depth of field.  

In other words, I don't think there is anything wrong with your gear.  Depth of Field is created in part by the Aperture setting in your exposure.  Do you know what your exposure settings are?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you. I can take a bigger picture.

Distance from desk to wall is 3-4 feet. Camera only another two feet away, so not much distance. Normally, background and foreground faily equally clear given I'm nearly sitting back against that wall in my office setup.

My fear is the sensor is going bad. Hopefully, that is not the case.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@execleader wrote:

I'm currently using the above model with the Canon Webcam Utility software.

It's been working great until late last week when I notice the image on the panel (back of camera) is clear and sharp, but the image being shown in Zoom/Teams is soft around the edges.That image in the background is an actual picture that is a sky that is deep blue. You can see how washed out it is.

Ideas for troubleshooting would be appreciated!

soft edges.jpg

Go outside and take some "regular" photos of objects like a house, car etc and see how they come out. That should tell you if it is a camera problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

You all, rock!

Beginner mistake. Looks like I had turned the dial to Creative Filter from Manual mode.

Thanks for engaging to help! Much appreciated.

Announcements