cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel Digital, New to me.

Photojeepx2
Apprentice

I just inherited a Rebel digital camera and some lenses. It was hardly ever used since this relative passed away soon after she bought it. I already own a Canon 7D, and the lenses are interchangeable . I am looking to find the program or download so I can retrieve the pics from this camera. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's the first one they made, Digital Rebel. I think it was 2004. 

I bought my 7D with the EF-S 18-135.  I got 4  lenses with this camera. EF 50 mm  1.8 II,  zoom EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6   Zoom EF  28-135  3.5-5.6 IS   Zoom  EF-75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III,  

i would like to thank everyone for their quick response.  I need to get a new battery for the Rebel and then I'll be able to attempt a download. I'll let you know how that works out.  Syd

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

The images would be in the SD memory cards, not anywhere in the body.  Do you have any of her cards?  If so, put the card in a card reader and drag and drop them into a file on your computer.

Which Rebel is it and which lenses?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

It's the first one they made, Digital Rebel. I think it was 2004. 

I bought my 7D with the EF-S 18-135.  I got 4  lenses with this camera. EF 50 mm  1.8 II,  zoom EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6   Zoom EF  28-135  3.5-5.6 IS   Zoom  EF-75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III,  

i would like to thank everyone for their quick response.  I need to get a new battery for the Rebel and then I'll be able to attempt a download. I'll let you know how that works out.  Syd

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You should be able to download the same as you do from your 7D. 

The only difference would would be if you download by plugging card into a reader rather than connecting camera via USB cable your 7D uses SD cards while early Rebels use CF  cards. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

You should be able to download the same as you do from your 7D. 

The only difference would would be if you download by plugging card into a reader rather than connecting camera via USB cable your 7D uses SD cards while early Rebels use CF  cards. 

Bzzzzzzt!! Gotcha, John.  Smiley Wink  I have two 7D's, so I say this with a good deal of confidence: The 7D uses CF cards. (As did my XTi, which IIRC was the last Rebel to do so.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. Then there would be no difference at all. 🙂
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

BurnUnit
Whiz

If it's like the used Rebel 300D I picked up a couple years ago you might find out that the newer operating systems won't recognize it as an external mass storage device. In my case Win7 was too new. You might get away with XP or older assuming you're using Windows. Canon doesn't offer any drivers to make the older cameras compatible with the newer OS's.

The easy way out is to get a USB card reader for less than $10 as mentioned already.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I think if you switch camera communication setting to PTP it will work.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
I think if you switch camera communication setting to PTP it will work.

Well now you've thrown a little doubt into me. I thought I'd tried that when I first got the camera but now I'm going to have to try it again. Smiley Frustrated

Announcements