cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel 3Ti auto setting under exposure issue

sp20
Apprentice

Guessing the camera has got an issue, but thought I'd ask if anyone had any issues. Yeah, I know, auto mode (green box) is something to get out of, but sometimes, I like to just be able to point it and get the picture without having to have too much prepared or adjusted.  

Starting about a year and a half ago, the camera has seemed to want more light than what I think it needs, including popping the flash up at times when I don't think it makes any sense to need a flash.  Non-flash pictures tend to be washed out as compared to how I'll shoot them in manual mode, but it didn't always use to be this way which is why I'm here.  I've done a camera reset and that doesn't seem to have changed anything.  So, seems like something is off with the way the camera is interpreting the light meter.  Guess I should look at how the meter on my manual shots compares to what it's showing on auto and see if it really is underestimating the light value.  

Should note, it does this with both lenses I have.  

Thanks for any suggestions. 

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have the exposure compensation on?

sp20
Apprentice
Exposure compensation isn't active in auto mode, right? Referring to using full auto mode, (A with the green box around it) If it is, I have no idea how to get to it but shouldn't a camera reset have returned it to factory setting?

@sp20 wrote:
Exposure compensation isn't active in auto mode, right? Referring to using full auto mode, (A with the green box around it) If it is, I have no idea how to get to it but shouldn't a camera reset have returned it to factory setting?

Is there a filter on the lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No filter on the lens and I should have noted that it does it also in the auto- no flash mode just below the green box on the mode dial.  I'll try and get some comparison pictures posted when I get a chance here.  Had my weekend screwed up by tearing a calf muscle while playing tennis.  Finally understand why it takes those NBA guys so long to get back from that injury.  

diverhank
Authority
Can you post a picture that you think has the wrong exposure? In many cases the camera meter can be fooled...the claim it used to not do that is not very precise unless you shoot the same scene and same light conditions all the time.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements