cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Camera for a beginner

Signsofautumn
Contributor
Hi, I bought my 13 year old daughter the t6 kit, but she's having no luck with the lens that came with it. It's horrible and she hates it so much. She's gone back to her bridge camera rebel sx 530 which is taking superior photos compared to her t6. Could it be that bad of a lens or is it her beginners level that's causing such poor zoom photos with the t6? I must agree with her that the sx530 is taking nicer pictures then the t6 even with an additional lens we bought for $130 refurbished (75-300 canon lens) any advice on settings would be great. As in does she have to use a specific setting for a photo of a hawk a block away? It just seems no matter what we try to zoom in on never looks good with the t6. Thank you
9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Read this re-posted reply.

300mm isn't enough FL for birds at that distance. Even a larger bird like a hawk.

The shot below was taken with a 300mm lens but was at about 50 feet and cropped a large amount.

1111.jpg

Two options for you and her, One is get more FL and two get closer.

However, the most important part of photography is post editing. If you don't post edit you will never have great photos no matter what camera/lens you buy.

Additionally if she puts the Rebel T6 on the green square and the lens in AF (switch on the lens), it is essentially a point and shoot camera just like the SX 530.  BTW, the SX 530 is not a Rebel.  It is a Powershot.

Keep this in mind, getting closer is always better than getting a better lens.  How about posting some examples so we can see exactly what she is doing.  That will help a great deal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You should start your own thread. [Done! -Mod.]

But does it take pictures of still objects?

Is it a focusing issue?

Can you post a "bad" image?

I have the 70-300 I and it works great.

John_SD
Whiz

@Signsofautumn wrote:
Hi, I bought my 13 year old daughter the t6 kit, but she's having no luck with the lens that came with it. It's horrible and she hates it so much... Could it be that bad of a lens or is it her beginners level that's causing such poor zoom photos with the t6? ...any advice on settings would be great....does she have to use a specific setting for a photo of a hawk a block away? 

Your post doesn't provide enough information, really, to suggest that there is a problem with her rig. I am inclined to think that the camera and lens (whatever she is using) are functioning properly.

No offense, but your daughter should set her camera aside for a little bit and study the full online user manual and purchase and read some books on DSLR photography. Or take a course or two. Most people struggle to make the leap from easy snapshots with a junk camera or phone to true DSLR photography. That is the problem you are having.

You are asking what settings to use, which tells me neither of you have spent any time looking in to the camera or photography. So start here:

www.canon.com/icpd

@John_SD wrote:

@Signsofautumn wrote:
Hi, I bought my 13 year old daughter the t6 kit, but she's having no luck with the lens that came with it. It's horrible and she hates it so much... Could it be that bad of a lens or is it her beginners level that's causing such poor zoom photos with the t6? ...any advice on settings would be great....does she have to use a specific setting for a photo of a hawk a block away? 

Your post doesn't provide enough information, really, to suggest that there is a problem with her rig. I am inclined to think that the camera and lens (whatever she is using) are functioning properly.

No offense, but your daughter should set her camera aside for a little bit and study the full online user manual and purchase and read some books on DSLR photography. Or take a course or two. Most people struggle to make the leap from easy snapshots with a junk camera or phone to true DSLR photography. That is the problem you are having.

You are asking what settings to use, which tells me neither of you have spent any time looking in to the camera or photography. So start here:

www.canon.com/icpd

I think I agree with everything John said except his suggestion that your daughter set her camera aside. Taking pictures is part of the learning process (possibly, at her stage, the most important part), so I don't think it should be omitted. She's well equipped for her age, so have her read the manuals, sign up for classes, and learn to use a photo editor.

And maybe have her create her own account in this forum. If her interest in photography is strong, she may well learn more from asking her own questions.

Kids (mine are now 50 and 49) develop at their own pace. My daughter started dating her future husband at 16, but didn't get into photography until her first child was born. And my wife and I took her advice (not the other way around) when we bought our first digital cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Taking pictures is part of the learning process ... I don't think it should be omitted."

Neither do I.  never stop shooting as experience is the best teacher.

"...maybe have her create her own account in this forum."

Well most of us would be good for her.  Some not so much, IMHO, of course.

EB

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@Signsofautumn wrote:

www.canon.com/icpd

I think I agree with everything John said except his suggestion that your daughter set her camera aside. Taking pictures is part of the learning process (possibly, at her stage, the most important part), so I don't think it should be omitted. She's well equipped for her age, so have her read the manuals, sign up for classes, and learn to use a photo editor.

Actually, what I said was that she set it aside for "a little bit and study...".

I stand by that, because neither the father nor the daughter seem to have any idea about camera settings or DSLR photography in general. They need to learn a little about the camera and how to operate it before they can use it, right? His questions seemed to be so basic as to confirm that they don't understand basic functions. He was asking what settings to use to shoot a hawk a block away. LOL.  So running out and trying to use the camera before you have a clue about functionality and settings seems counerproductive to me and will only lead to frustration, which is where they are at now.

"Actually, what I said was that she set it aside for "a little bit and study..."."

Yeah, I agree too.  It never hurts to learn a bit first. You are right and I would not discourage anybody from it.  I think it better to do it with camera in hand tough. But when I started back in 1960, ugh, that's along time ago there was no Internet, no youtube.  Not really many how-to books.  We all seemed to learn and do well after a sort.  I can easily say after I got my 1D or certainly my 1D Mk II, I never opened a manual. I guess they are all around here somewhere.  Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Actually, what I said was that she set it aside for "a little bit and study..."."

Yeah, I agree too.  It never hurts to learn a bit first. You are right and I would not discourage anybody from it.  I think it better to do it with camera in hand tough. But when I started back in 1960, ugh, that's along time ago there was no Internet, no youtube.  Not really many how-to books.  We all seemed to learn and do well after a sort.  I can easily say after I got my 1D or certainly my 1D Mk II, I never opened a manual. I guess they are all around here somewhere.  Smiley Happy

You make some good points, Ernie, but remember, the girl is only 13. I think she could use some guidance and direction. Her father is well-meaning, but does not seem to have any DSLR knowledge. Hence, the reason I posted the Canon link, which I hope he will make use of and download the full manual for the T6. It will help them tremendously. Armed with some basics regarding funtionality, they can make real strides. 

He mentioned the 75-300mm lens. That is probably the non-IS version, so if her hands have some shake, and she is not bracing herself properly, the photos will be a blurry mess. The manual covers these lens basics, along with camera operations. I hope they make use of it. 

"I hope they make use of it."

I do too.

EB
Announcements