cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw vs In-Camera

axepilot
Contributor

I've been shooting raw / with large JPEG since I received my T6 this Christmas. I'm editing the raw images with the Canon Digital Photo Professional software.

I've found that I get better images when editing the raw images. I think I'm just going to shoot straight raw from now on. 

I'm having some serious fun with this camera! 

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@axepilot wrote:

I've been shooting raw / with large JPEG since I received my T6 this Christmas. I'm editing the raw images with the Canon Digital Photo Professional software.

I've found that I get better images when editing the raw images. I think I'm just going to shoot straight raw from now on. 

I'm having some serious fun with this camera! 

Me, too.  I always shoot as RAW.  You have taken your first step into a bigger world.  Keep shooting.  Keep discovering.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

@axepilot wrote: I think I'm just going to shoot straight raw from now on. 

Fantastic, another convert taking the sensible route.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The only time I shoot JPEG is if I need to do something with the image immediately (it can't wait until I get back to a computer).   

Just remember that RAW is "RAW" ... changes are not applied.  White balance is ignored.  Images may appear noisier because in-camera noise-reduction is not applied to a RAW file.  Sharpening is not applied to a RAW file.  Color profiles are not applied to a RAW file.  

This means the "straight out of the camera" comparison of a RAW vs. a JPEG will probably result in JPEGs looking better than the RAW.  But the RAW has so much more information and adjustment ladititude in it that it ultimately will be the better image after you're done adjusting it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Ok, makes sense, so is there a serious downside to shoot Raw+JPEG?

Only File size(s) and buffer space.

I can live with that, thanks!

"...is there a serious downside to shoot Raw+JPEG?"

At one time Raw was not so easy and seamless. It is now. There really isn't any good reason to use jpg any longer.  The big reason is 99% of the time you u/l the photos to your computer anyway. Most if not all software automatically converts the Raw file to your jpg settings so there you are. However, if you don't like what you see you get a much broader range of adjustment with nor effect on the original Raw file. A jpg edit is permanently altered.

If you don't have a dual card slots in your camera you aren't getting a backup either. I typically do a Raw on card one and also on card 2 for important shoots but a one card slot can not do that. It makes Raw + jpg redundant with no profit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements