cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw files from my EOS T3i. My computer has Windows 7 - 64 bit.

zetscha
Apprentice

I want to use Raw files from my EOS Rebel T3i. When I went to down load the Canon driver to convert this it turns out there is no driver for my computer's operaing syste. I have a pretty normal computer with Windows 7- 64bit. They only support 33 bit processing. There seems to be no support for Windows 8. Now what? Is there an outside sonversion driver I should use instead? Will there be support for Windows 8 in the near future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@zetscha wrote:

I want to use Raw files from my EOS Rebel T3i. When I went to down load the Canon driver to convert this it turns out there is no driver for my computer's operaing syste. I have a pretty normal computer with Windows 7- 64bit. They only support 33 bit processing. There seems to be no support for Windows 8. Now what? Is there an outside sonversion driver I should use instead? Will there be support for Windows 8 in the near future?

Windows 7's default method of displaying RAW files is to use the Canon RAW Codec, a utility that must be installed on the computer and which has (or had, last I knew) no 64-bit version. So the 64-bit Windows 7 can't display RAW files except via a program, usually a photo editor, specified by the user.

Windows 8 has its own translation utility, the Microsoft Codec, that allows it to display the RAW files of various vendors, including Canon. The Microsoft Codec works on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8. While the Microsoft Codec is used by default to display RAW images, the user can override it with a suitable photo editor, just as in Windows 7.

None of this applies to actual editing of RAW files. Many (most?) photo editors will run in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. An exception is version 4 of Digital Photo Professional, which runs only under the 64-bit versions of both operating systems.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

@zetscha wrote:

Your post is a little confusing, you start with Windows 7, but move to 8.  Which is it? Are you really looking for drivers, or software? 

Regardless, you want to load DDP (Digital Photo Pro?), it came with your camera otherwise you can download it online.  The software should work with 7 or 8, and 64 bit.   You don't need "drivers", unless you're trying to connect your camera to the computer, instead of using a card reader (recommended).

If you're willing to spend the money, I highly recommend using Adobe Lightroom instead of DDP.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There are no drivers for WIN 7 or WIN 8 32-bit or 64-bit. You computer will see the T3i with only a USB connection as it comes.

You do need a RAW converter to view RAW files but not to see jpgs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@zetscha wrote:

Windows 7's default method of displaying RAW files is to use the Canon RAW Codec, a utility that must be installed on the computer and which has (or had, last I knew) no 64-bit version. So the 64-bit Windows 7 can't display RAW files except via a program, usually a photo editor, specified by the user.

Windows 8 has its own translation utility, the Microsoft Codec, that allows it to display the RAW files of various vendors, including Canon. The Microsoft Codec works on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8. While the Microsoft Codec is used by default to display RAW images, the user can override it with a suitable photo editor, just as in Windows 7.

None of this applies to actual editing of RAW files. Many (most?) photo editors will run in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. An exception is version 4 of Digital Photo Professional, which runs only under the 64-bit versions of both operating systems.

Bob

Microsoft has released a W7 RAW codec for x32 and x64 systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Microsoft has released a W7 RAW codec for x32 and x64 systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

Good catch. I knew that (and had even downloaded it last month), but had forgotten.

Bob

Thanks for the info. I have down loaded the Microsoft Codex and will give that a try. I have a pretty old version of Photoshop and a newer Photoshop Elements. Am a little reluctant to get Lightroom since this is a hobby and the rental quality to newer software is sort of annoying if you don't use it all the time.

I appreciate the help.

Announcements