cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REBEL SL2 FOCUS PROBLEMS

FTBNLOVER
Contributor

I recently purchased a used Rebel 200d.  I planned to use an EF-S 17-85 lens on it.  When I mount this lens, I cannot get a sharp focus.  Same thing with my EF 20-35 lens.  Has anyone else run into this problem, or am I doing something wrong, or does the camera require servicing?  Admittedly, this is a new camera for me.  Thanks very much.

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@FTBNLOVER wrote:

I recently purchased a used Rebel 200d.  I planned to use an EF-S 17-85 lens on it.  When I mount this lens, I cannot get a sharp focus.  Same thing with my EF 20-35 lens.  Has anyone else run into this problem, or am I doing something wrong, or does the camera require servicing?  Admittedly, this is a new camera for me.  Thanks very much.

Didn’t the camera come with a lens, or did you buy it used?

Make your lens is securely mounted.  Make sure the lens AF/MF switch is set to AF.  Switch the top dial on the camera to Green [A] mode.  Go outside on a sunny day, and take some test shots of stuff that is 50-100 feet away from you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks very much...I did that, and it seemed to work very well.  However, if I set it to aperture priority (which I normally use), the result is soft and disappointing.  Would an STM lens correct this?  Again, thanks very much for your kind advice.

If it only happens in Av, are you sure it is not motion blur due to a slow shutter speed?

Could be, but I doubt it.  I will pay more attention to my settings.  Thanks for your suggestion.

The focusing system does not care which exposure mode it is in. It is totally independent.

I took a few pictures today, using Aperture mode and the AI setting....all shots seem to be fine.  The problem may have rested with the SD card; I used a new one, formatted by this camera....the other card may have been too close to full, and is one I have had for a while.  It probably has been used in a number of cameras.  Hopefully, my difficulty is solved.  Thanks to all who offered advice and comfort...it is really appreciated.

The SD card did not cause "soft" pictures.

You may be correct, but this was an old card, and let me take about 5 pictures before indicating "card full."  I don't know how long I've hasd that card, or how many cameras it has been in.  If it is the card, that's a simple solution, and I'm grateful for it.  However, I'm going to have the camera checked out anyway.  Thanks for your reply.

"I planned to use an EF-S 17-85 lens on it.  When I mount this lens, I cannot get a sharp focus..."  "... if I set it to aperture priority (which I normally use), the result is soft..."

OK, which is it or is it both? Does it only happen with this combo?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements