cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW

Bdarin
Contributor
I'm new to Canon, have a Rebel 1200D. I don't fully understand the RAW setting. What does it mean and how does it affect the resolution? Thanks.
35 REPLIES 35

@ScottyP wrote:

That was meant as "sharpening" in post, as in using the sharpening slider in Lightroom, not sharpness in general, as a quality. Adding sharpening to a JPG gets funny-looking faster than with a RAW file, as does adding basically anything else.

Jpg's frustrate me.  A couple of times I have reset a camera to default settings, and then forgotten that this sets you to JPG,  and then firing off a couple hundred jpg images.  Trying to play with exposure and WB later on the JPG when you are used to RAW was a reminder of why I am not so fond of jpg.  

I do notice that the camera can often do a very nice job with the JPG's.  I wish you could shoot RAW but then have a simple button in post processing that would show you what your Canon camera would have done with the image, to use as a starting point. I use Lightroom, not DPP, but I wonder if Canon could make DPP capable of doing that. If all these processing programs have a library of lens corrections for 100's of lenses, I'd bet Canon could make DPP able to auto-process a RAW image the same way one of its cameras would have done.  I have seen other folks wishing the same thing. 

Someone put this in the Canon suggestion box for me please.  😉

The "auto gamma" button in DPP4 sort of does that, doesn't it? More broadly, DPP defaults to the camera settings in matters like white balance, etc.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't know, Robert.  I used DPP for about 2 weeks before buying Lightroom so I am not sure how auto gamma and the default WB looks.  

I was was thinking of something like a clearly labeled button that makes it really clear that it is showing you a real Canon camera's best effort at processing. And showing it in a non-destructive "recipe" form, not burned-in, so you could just use it as a starting point.  This may be my Lightroom bias showing, together with my unfamiliarity with DPP.

i also wonder why Adobe can't approximate the same thing and offer it in Lightroom. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"i also wonder why Adobe can't approximate the same thing and offer it in Lightroom."

I apologize right off in the first place but this is an amateurish request and Adobe Lightroom is a professional software.  It is unlikely you will ever see that request. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bdarin
Contributor
Golly, didn't mean to open a can of worms here. But thanks for all the input. You've not only answered my question, but taught me a bunch of stuff as well.

Oh, no worms!  We often discuss things here and have differing opinions.  That's just the way it is.  In photography not much is right or wrong.  The bottom line is, what works for you and what you are satisfied with.

While on the subject, if you truly want the most from your camera, you can see DPP will fall short.  Canon is a camera manufacturer. Adobe is a software maker.  Canon does cameras very well.  The best there is, IMHO.  They don't do software as well.  Adobe does and is the accepted standard in the industry.

DPP has gotten very much better in version 4.  It just isn't there yet.  I am sure Canon will keep upgrading it and who knows?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you click the RGB tab you get the edit tool and a WB dropper.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements