cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW

Bdarin
Contributor
I'm new to Canon, have a Rebel 1200D. I don't fully understand the RAW setting. What does it mean and how does it affect the resolution? Thanks.
35 REPLIES 35

Youre going off-topic, Ernie.  The OP has a new Rebel T5, and wanted to know what RAW meant.  I seriously doubt that the OP is using Lightroom, or ever will for the foreseeable future. 

The correct answer is one reason the OP should use RAW is because you are not able to make WB adjustments to JPEGs using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software that came with the camera..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I seriously doubt that the OP is using Lightroom, or ever will for the foreseeable future."

"I seriously doubt", you can make that judgement with any authority.  We all were there at one time or the other.  Correct?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon DPP3 and DPP4 both have a white balance eye dropper in the JPEG editing tool. 

Lightroom has Adobe versions of the Canon Picture Styles in the camera calibration drop down that try to emulate the Canon versions. 

For folks that are using Mac computers the free, built-in iPhotos or Photos applications automatically convert and display RAW. Unless someone wants immediate JPEGs for posting online I see no reason not to just shoot RAW. No downside and all the editing benefits upside. 

I don't know if there is a free Windows equivalent to iPhoto/Photos. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Canon's DPP software does not allow it, ..."

Sorry again but DPP 4 does have a WB adjustment.  It has an eyedropper just like LR does.  My unfamiliarity with DPP was tweaked by Mr. Hoffman's post.  And, yes, the WIndoze version has it, too.  So, that is settled it can be done in both programs!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Sorry again but DPP 4 does have a WB adjustment.  It has an eyedropper just like LR does.  My unfamiliarity with DPP was tweaked by Mr. Hoffman's post.  And, yes, the WIndoze version has it, too.  So, that is settled it can be done in both programs!

Sorry, but I didn't make myself clear.   DPP3 does not allow it.  The OP has DPP3 with his Rebel T5.

DPP3_JPEG.EyeDropper.png

The entire "RAW" tab is disabled, and greyed out when you edit a JPEG, which includes the WB eyedropper tool.  The OP does not have Lightroom.  The OP cannot download DPP4.  His only tool at this time is DPP3. 

And if the Moon is in the seventh house and the creek don't rise and.......c'mon on.  He can do it if he wants to.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

DPP4 does do a much better job on JPEGs than DPP3 does. (I've had to use it a couple of times when I've gotten a camera back from Canon and inadvertently left it set to JPEG.) But it doesn't do nearly as good a job as both versions do on RAW.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"So, that is settled it can be done in both programs!"

It is foolish to think any post editing software could not do WB.  I simply do not have enough experience with DPP so I am ignorant of exactly how each version works.  I just use it enough to know I don't want to use it. Smiley Very Happy

Matter of fact I have removed version 3 altogether. 

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"So, that is settled it can be done in both programs!"

It is foolish to think any post editing software could not do WB.  I simply do not have enough experience with DPP so I am ignorant of exactly how each version works.  I just use it enough to know I don't want to use it. Smiley Very Happy

Matter of fact I have removed version 3 altogether. 

Okay, I was wrong.  Shows how much JPEG editing I did with DPP3. 

BTW, I think it is foolish to persistently push people towards state of the art products.  I think the best answers to a question are the ones that are the best fit for the person that asked the question.  I have been participating in various technical forums for nearly 20 years, and have moderated several for a major manufacturer.

As for this JPEG issue, I cannot understand why there was such a big push to edit JPEGs, when the best answer should have been to shoot as RAW, and edit RAW.  The actual wrong answer was the one that suggested you can edit a JPEG every bit as well as a RAW file.

"Shows how much JPEG editing I did with DPP3."

Me neither, we are in the same boat there.  That is why I couldn't explain how to do it.  No biggie on either of us.  But when you have done this as long as I have there are some things you just know.

Yes, I plead guilty. I do try to push people to the best.  Perhaps it is a fault but I just want folks to be and to accomplish the best they can.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements