cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW

Bdarin
Contributor
I'm new to Canon, have a Rebel 1200D. I don't fully understand the RAW setting. What does it mean and how does it affect the resolution? Thanks.
35 REPLIES 35

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bdarin wrote:
I'm new to Canon, have a Rebel 1200D. I don't fully understand the RAW setting. What does it mean and how does it affect the resolution? Thanks.

The RAW setting creates files that are larger than JPEGs, but which allow for greater flexibility when you perform post-processing on the images after they have been shot. 

Consider how cameras worked before they went digital.  A picture was captured on film, which had to be developed.  Professionals could work magic in dark rooms by processing the film and developing a picture in different ways. Think of a RAW file as being similar to a film negative.

But, we also had cameras that produced an instant picture, which could not be processed after it was created.  These instant pictures produced no negatives, and there was little or nothing that could be done with an improperly exposed shot.  Those instant pictures that were produced are comparable to the JPEG files that the camera can produce.

Finally, always shoot in RAW.  Always create that digital negative, so to speak.  I have saved many shots because I shot in RAW.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Raw does nothing for resolution. You get the same number of pixel's either way. As stated it does give you more latitude for post processing. However, I disagree a bit, JPEG processing is so good these days that I don't bother unless it is a tricky, one-of-a-kind shot like a sunset or eclipse.

The RAW processor matters, too. Canon's DPP can do everything the DIGIC Raw processor does, so you can get your image to look just like a JPEG the camera would make - including lens corrections like distortion. There is no guarantee that a third party processor can do that.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Raw does nothing for resolution. You get the same number of pixel's either way. As stated it does give you more latitude for post processing. However, I disagree a bit, JPEG processing is so good these days that I don't bother unless it is a tricky, one-of-a-kind shot like a sunset or eclipse.

The RAW processor matters, too. Canon's DPP can do everything the DIGIC Raw processor does, so you can get your image to look just like a JPEG the camera would make - including lens corrections like distortion. There is no guarantee that a third party processor can do that.

JPEG post processing cannot hold a candle to what you can do with RAW post processing.  You should try taking another look at RAW.  As noted, you cannot correct the white balance of a JPEG image file.  You cannot make fine contrast adjustments to the shadow and highlight areas, either. 

Most importantly, IMHO, you cannot apply lens aberration correction to the JPEG image.

[EDIT]  You cannot perform lens correction on a JPEG.  The OP has a 1200D, Rebel T5, which cannot perform lens correction in camera..  But, you can shoot RAW and perform lens correction in DPP.

"As noted, you cannot correct the white balance of a JPEG image file."

Really?  Whoever 'noted' it is screwy!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"As noted, you cannot correct the white balance of a JPEG image file."

Really?  Whoever 'noted' is screwy!

I cannot adjust the white balance of a JPEG.  Can you?

Yes.

wb for a jpg.jpg

This is a jpg from my 1D Mk IV being edited in Lightroom.

EB

Why do you think it can't?  It is just one of any number of adjustments available in LR.  You do not have as much latitude with some of them that is true.  But they are still there.  I am just curious!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Why do you think it can't?  It is just one of any number of adjustments available in LR.  You do not have as much latitude with some of them that is true.  But they are still there.  I am just curious!

Figured you'd say that.  Sorry, but Lightroom does not count.  Canon's DPP software does not allow it, which is what the OP is most likely using.  No WB adjustments are possible.

Doesn't matter what the OP's intent was, the answer to this question .....

"I cannot adjust the white balance of a JPEG.  Can you?"   .... is, Yes, I can.  If you are using DPP and it doesn't do what you need, or want, why are you still using it? 

EB
Announcements